Noisy engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noisy engine

Fresh valve adjustment, fresh oil, new exhaust w new high flow cat and new muffler. Unable to determine if a leak is present, but motor is very loud from outside car and from inside while driving....Should I pull the exhaust manifolds and replace the gaskets/studs/nuts?

Not until you find out if that is the source of the noise.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

It depends on the type of noise you are hearing. High flow Cat and muffler can increase the exhaust noise ten folds easily.

Comment

Originally posted by BROKINBIMMER View Post
        Fresh valve adjustment, fresh oil, new exhaust w new high flow cat and new muffler. Unable to determine if a leak is present, but motor is very loud from outside car and from inside while driving....Should I pull the exhaust manifolds and replace the gaskets/studs/nuts?
        Suck in Seafoam through the vacuum hose that runs from the intake to the regulator. You'll smooth your idle and initial throttle response, and white smoke will seep out of any exhaust leaks you may have. I didn't know I was leaking out of the downpipe(s)/manifold connection until I did this.

Stock cats are very restrictive (9 bhp difference according to BMW http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M20) and quiet the motor considerably. High flow cats combined with a new muffler SHOULD make your engine considerably louder, and it's usually thought of as a plus.
        1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        5-Speed Swapped
        M30B35 Swapped
        MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

X2 on seafoam.
          My valves are adjusted to .008" not spec .010" because my car's 25 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by EatsHondas View Post
            Suck in Seafoam through the vacuum hose that runs from the intake to the regulator. You'll smooth your idle and initial throttle response, and white smoke will seep out of any exhaust leaks you may have. I didn't know I was leaking out of the downpipe(s)/manifold connection until I did this.

Stock cats are very restrictive (9 bhp difference according to BMW http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_M20) and quiet the motor considerably. High flow cats combined with a new muffler SHOULD make your engine considerably louder, and it's usually thought of as a plus.

Good to know, did replacing those gaskets quiet it down a bit?

Also, spent yesterday replacing exhaust manifold gaskets and new manifold hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by BROKINBIMMER View Post
              Good to know, did replacing those gaskets quiet it down a bit?
              Unfortunately I don't remember hearing any difference. The car didn't run any differently/better either. All I got was the satisfaction of there being one less thing wrong with my car. :|
              1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
              5-Speed Swapped
              M30B35 Swapped
              MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
              260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

Working...
              X