disapointed in 2.8 stroker...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disapointed in 2.8 stroker...

I know what youre probably thinking, should have just done a S5x swap. Problem is I have an iX, which makes that a whole different ballgame than a simple swap. Not only that, but I do love the characteristics of the M20 ie sound, originality, period correct etc. Just got bored with the power, especially considering the iX drivetrain loss.

Build specs:
    MM 86mm pistons 10:1
    s52 rods
    ETA crank
    19lb injectors
    Myster-E 885 head: IE rockers, ported/polish, schrick cam 284/272
    Miller MAF/WAR (3" housing, don't know if it matters even though they call for it w/ 2.8 stroker. chip came flashed with a tune miller had of a IE motor with 9:1. Mine has 10:1, not sure how big a difference it makes.)

Now to be clear, yes, the car does seem faster, not as fast as I was expecting, and not sooner on the power band as I thought but faster. I recently took a road trip from Sacramento to Portland and back with out a hiccup, and dropping into 4th in some mountain passes was really fun.

Problem is, its just not as streetable/daily friendly as stock. when starting up in the morning, the idle will go up and down which is annoying, but what ever. The other thing I've not been pleased with is the way it easily stalls sometimes which can be frustrating when youre stalling in parking lots, not to mention random bogging, CEL, and when I have the AC on its still the same old dog as the stock M20.

I installed a wideband O2 sensor, and the numbers are fairly good, at least not dangerous, yet I haven't been able to do a real tune due to the fact that my version of Windows 7 doesn't offer XP mode which Miller requires, which is one of many issues I have been soured with my experience with Miller.

So heres my question, even if I can figure out a way to do a decent tune on my laptop (or having to find someone else's to use) is that going to improve those easy stalling, CEL, bogging issues? Is a dyno appointment necessary or desirable? I was just hoping a decent break in period would do it but I'm at about 3k miles on the motor now. Any good advice is appreciated, especially on the Miller tuning issue.
    Last edited by aaron325ix; 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM.
    sigpic

yeah you definitely need a proper tune expecting anything but poor running on a stock tune with that setup is not being fair to the M20.....

mechanically, is the cam dialed in correctly? any vacuum leaks? have you done a compression test? what do the plugs look like? ICV works properly? electrics put back together correctly? TPS works? were all maintenance items checked/replaced at the same time i.e. fuel press reg, plugs, plug wires, filters, injectors refurbed etc?

with a few grand into the build you can probably afford $50 for a older laptop with XP on it for tuning....
    Last edited by digger; 06-13-2013, 10:01 PM.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

ditch, Miller. MS2 is worlds better.

Comment

XP mode doesn't come with Windows 7, you need to download it from Microsoft.
        The advantage of XP mode is that you don't need a license for XP, but if you have an old copy of it, you can use any other virtualisation software.

Comment

The first thing I'd do would be to have a smoke test run and make sure there are no intake leaks. It makes no sense to tune the engine is there are any intake leaks. Then put the car on a dyno and tune it. Once in tune you should have better performance.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by TheTacoMan View Post
            ditch, Miller. MS2 is worlds better.
            I was trying to stay away from that as I wanted to keep stock characteristics. but maybe its worth looking at if Miller is just going to be a bitch
            Originally posted by E30-325iS View Post
            XP mode doesn't come with Windows 7, you need to download it from Microsoft.
            The advantage of XP mode is that you don't need a license for XP, but if you have an old copy of it, you can use any other virtualisation software.
            My home version of windows 7 doesnt allow XP mode...
            Originally posted by jlevie View Post
            The first thing I'd do would be to have a smoke test run and make sure there are no intake leaks. It makes no sense to tune the engine is there are any intake leaks. Then put the car on a dyno and tune it. Once in tune you should have better performance.
            guess ill start with a smoke test.
            sigpic

Comment

what is your final compression now?

here's your issue "schrick cam 284/272" for street-ability 284 is way too aggressive. 274/272 is a great cam for your build. 284-286 should only be for track rats.
              Much wow
              I hate 4 doors

Comment

Originally posted by Cabriolet View Post
                what is your final compression now?

here's your issue "schrick cam 284/272" for street-ability 284 is way too aggressive. 274/272 is a great cam for your build. 284-286 should only be for track rats.
                Duhh, fixed that. yea it was a 274/272 schrick. havent done a comp test yet
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aaron325ix View Post
                  Duhh, fixed that. yea it was a 274/272 schrick. havent done a comp test yet
                  oh well then...
                  you have an air leak or an MAF issue.

as for compression i meant the ratio like 9.5:1?
                  Much wow
                  I hate 4 doors

Comment

Sorry, I'm just off today. 10:1 MM pistons
                    sigpic

Comment

Ditch miller and get one of whodwho's ms2 setups. Once you do you'll wish you did it sooner. My 3.1L m20 idles great with a schrick 284/272 and a 13 lb fly wheel. With ms you have so much versatility. An adjustable cam gear is pretty much a requirement with a custom m20. If your cam is to far advanced it can give idle problems.

Comment

do lots of checking stuff is working as it should and maintained then just get a tune....simple
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

added some info in bold in OP concerning the miller MAF and tune, which I think might be some cause for concern, maybe not
                          Last edited by aaron325ix; 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Video? Sound clips?

Comment

You can run a virtual machine on your laptop to host the war software in xp. works well.

VMware is what I use.

As far as cam goes, a mate is daily driving a 2.8 with a 284/272 and it is a smooth as a babies bum. Mine is a dbilas 276 and no stalling either with ac on.

Both tuning war chips and mafs. You should have better drivability than what you have with that setup.

Pulling my hair out with all these friggin BMW's:
                              2000 M5 Winter beater
                              1984 318i Coupe 2.5 S14 going in the car below.
                              1988 M3 Lachssilber: I'm the second owner, currently recommissioning.

Comment

Working...
                              X