m20b29 DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20b29 DIY

So this is one of my first posts in this forum and I whant shere with you with my sroker setup. I am from Latvia it is in eastern europe near a Russia. Don't be be angry of my english. Engine is not running yet but it will happen soon.

Final engine capacity is 2926cc BMW think it is a 3.0 like in diesel engine from which I took a crank but I call it 2.9i

Final compression ratio is somewhere around 10:1 it is a complicated to calculate because top of the piston is not straight.

so list of parts what I use for my project:

m57d30 crank (88mm stroke)
    m20b20 rods (130mm)
    m20b25 pistons

Of course this setup is not plug and play and. According of that some parts have to be modified.

Like you see crankshaft from a diesel engine is a litle bit other than it is on m20 and that whay I made a steel ring for a shaft seal. You can see it have a diferent colour.

Next what I rebuild was a tooth belt gear.

and to keep it all together we made a such flange

Pistons also are rebuild. from above I take away 1.5mm and valve pockets are 2mm deeper. Bottom is cut off by a maximum.

This DIY don't have all measures for a parts which have to be rebuild or build but major idea is to show that is possible to use a diesel crankshaft. If somebody will be realy intrested in this idea it is a not a big problem to calculate all by yourself.

That looks neat.
    Originally posted by Andy.B
    Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
    1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    I was born on 3/25…
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

This project looks interesting....sadly seems that it never run? Or do someone know about such a combo running?

Comment

i recall seeing a picture of those machined pistons a week or so ago when searching for something else, i didnt click to find out more sadly....

it is very similar to thread on here that is current (see below) though it will face more issues than this option as the disel crank has different snout and probably bigger counterweights, but i think they are all solvable to get a working concept

perhaps you could take it one step further and use the 89.6 crank but there are few issues compounding ever more quickly as you go bigger that soon enough you hit the "show stopper"
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

your english is fine..

Looks like this setup (88mm crank) will be too high for M20 block..am I wrong? 34.2+44+130=208.2mm
          OEM m20b25 height (75mm stroke): 34.2+37.5+135=206.7mm

1.5mm difference.. are you planning for a crazy thick head gasket of some sort?
          Last edited by zaq123; 03-14-2017, 02:50 PM.

Comment

it says 1.5mm machined from the top of piston same shape as OEM by looks of it which is good compared to flat top which brings it back down same as b25.

the issue with this is to run any sort of performance cam or oversized inlet valves you are gonna risk cutting into the top ring groove, i cut up a piston once to look at this ill see if i can find it. note that oversized pistons help alleviate this
            Last edited by digger; 03-14-2017, 03:11 PM.
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
              it says 1.5mm machined from the top of pistons....
              missed that info....

Comment

Working...
              X