No announcement yet.

M20 Gates Racing Belt Coming Soon.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about us guys that constantly are going to Redline on our cars? I'm sure the better belt would help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

einstein57, I get that you want to buy the normal belt. That's fine. It's also fine if any of us buy this belt. I'm not buying it because I'm lazy. I'm buying it because I am a big fan of Gates belts.

Like I said before, $100 divided by three years = $3 per month (10¢ a day) for an upgraded belt. Totally worth it. And my argument is rock solid. ;D

Also, nobody knows how much they cost yet.
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

For the guys who have loads of money into m20 head work, why would you not spend a little more and get the MM non-interference pistons. Drunk, but really?

Although fuck yes to people making stuff for e30s. I know most cars can be swapped, but for the iXers, we're pretty much fucked if they don't. (unless blah blah blah e34ix or custom oilpan business)
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
          For the guys who have loads of money into m20 head work, why would you not spend a little more and get the MM non-interference pistons. Drunk, but really?
          well a non interference piston lowers the CR due to the massive pockets plus it may not even be possible to fit much larger valves? as well as the lower CR, it also hurts combustion by having all these areas in the chamber that don't burn properly
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
            I don't see a need for e30s but we have them...
            ahhh the "need" and "have" argument begins lol

really dont see what the hurt is. i mean everyone is going to do different stuff on their cars and have different experiences... we argue on here like its the end all be all and those who dont do the norm are the bad ones... and the ones who dont try new things are the bad ones.. a little ridiculous IMHO. id just like to try one out and see how it works... thats really it
            10 minutes... then we invade China.
            We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
            And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

For the guys who have loads of money into m20 head work, why would you not spend a little more and get the MM non-interference pistons.
              I plan on having some non interference 8.5:1 pistons made for my car. I figure as long as i'm getting custom pistons made why not have them non interference.

Originally posted by digger View Post
              well a non interference piston lowers the CR due to the massive pockets plus it may not even be possible to fit much larger valves? as well as the lower CR, it also hurts combustion by having all these areas in the chamber that don't burn properly
              From MMs catalog
              Pistons 3200 Rally, 86mm, Deep Valve Pockets 11.0:1 CR

The gallardo pockets seem pretty deep as well. I'm pretty confident the people who specialize in engine design know way more then i ever will. Even with my mechanical engineering background.

Last edited by einstein57; 09-09-2013, 08:35 PM.
              Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
              My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                I plan on having some non interference 8.5:1 pistons made for my car. I figure as long as i'm getting custom pistons made why not have them non interference.

From MMs catalog
                Pistons 3200 Rally, 86mm, Deep Valve Pockets 11.0:1 CR

The gallardo pockets seem pretty deep as well. I'm pretty confident the people who specialize in engine design know way more then i ever will. Even with my mechanical engineering background.

deep pockets are usually for big camshafts or in the case of OEM engines clearance for variable valve timing where the positives outweigh the negatives. if you don't need deep pockets then having them only hurts performance

The MM sport pistons would be higher CR with smaller pockets for the valves.....kind of like how the deep pocket sport pistons are 10:1 and the rally ones 10.5 to 11:1
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                  Great argument :roll:

The contitech belt does not just snap with people running ppf cams and making over 600whp under boost. And that belt is $12, $35 including the roller. So i find it a little difficult to understand the need for a stronger $100 belt with 0 information from the manufacturer as far as service intervals. So people are either going to ride it out hoping the belt last 2-3x longer and possibly destroying their motor in the process. Or replace the belt within the standard intervals (3 years /45k miles according to my factory trained 30 year BMW mechanic/father) which the factory belt handles just fine.
                  And how often do people change there OE Belts with a setup like that? More often than not they are probably back within the engine tweaking or modifying for more power. So the OE belt comes off and is replaced with yet again another OE one so maybe what 5k or 10k maybe less? I don't know but I'm willing to bet trying to run a single OE belt on a motor like that, that it will fail before the service interval of 45k. Not saying the OE belt isn't capable of handling 600HP at all, just don't believe it will last 45k on that type of motor.

Also with the Gates Racing Belt at least we wouldn't have to replace it eveytime we removed it to service anything else.

Comment

I want one and I buy from Rockauto

Comment

If people are up grading a bunch of parts on there m20 engine's why not also upgrade one of the most important parts?
                      M30 is God's motor.....but Jesus drives an M60'd car -slammin.e28

Comment

Maybe because there are those of us who feel it's a less-than ideal design? It does have the benefit of "non-interference" wich is a positive for someone who shouldn't be rebuilding an engine in the first place. I'm sure in layman's terms you could describe them as an attempt at being "stupid-proof?.

I'm in Digger's ballpark on this one, and no I'd rather not go into a lengthy forum discussion on it.

That being said, it'll be neat to have the Gates belt for the enduro motors. As far as an "upgrade", an upgrade for the sake of "upgrading" always throws up a red flag over the competence of whose touched the engine (kind of like a billet guibo). Nothing wrong with the conti-belts.

Originally posted by IveGotIssues666 View Post
                        And how often do people change there OE Belts with a setup like that? More often than not they are probably back within the engine tweaking or modifying for more power. So the OE belt comes off and is replaced with yet again another OE one so maybe what 5k or 10k maybe less? I don't know but I'm willing to bet trying to run a single OE belt on a motor like that, that it will fail before the service interval of 45k. Not saying the OE belt isn't capable of handling 600HP at all, just don't believe it will last 45k on that type of motor.

Also with the Gates Racing Belt at least we wouldn't have to replace it eveytime we removed it to service anything else.
                        So how often would you replace a Gates belt on a similar engine then? Your point can be made somewhat valid ONLY if it was based on replacement interval recommendations from Gates and not simply conjecture.
                        Last edited by SkiFree; 09-11-2013, 05:25 PM.
                        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I for one tend to redline my engine numerous times whenever I drive,
                          so far I have not been able to snap a Conti belt.

Once i did have it jump, not know it then I thought it was misfiring so actually revved it up and shifted it in a lower gear, repeatedly, until motor ceased. Upon inspection belt never snapped, system failure was not due to service interval but due to improper tensioning by mechanic.

I'm confident on Conti's, that being said I would never reuse one, just plain crazy.

If a stronger belt becomes available and it can at least last as long as OEM unit then why not give it a try ? the worst thing it could happen is give you extra reassurance from performance point of view., cost a few more bucks ? so do this and that.

Comment

the only comment is that the conti is proven on an M20, and these new gates ones specific for the M20 are not yet proven....?

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                              So how often would you replace a Gates belt on a similar engine then? Your point can be made somewhat valid ONLY if it was based on replacement interval recommendations from Gates and not simply conjecture.
                              Too be Honest I couldn't tell you, gates wont give any service interval due liability issues, however they are designed for high hp/torque applications unlike the regular OEM belt which BMW never intended for enthusiasts to run High HP/torque M20 engines (Maybe we should ask BMW how long the OE belt will last on a 600HP M20 lol).

But seriously only time will tell once they are produced trial and error. Maybe people could start posting pictures of the conditions of their contitech or another OE brand belts they have used. Like how many miles/years how much HP/Torque their pushing before they replaced. Then once people start running the GATES Racing Belt people can do the same.

I willing to take a shot, and heck I'm willing to bet those currently knocking the new Belt design will end up in the future trying one at least once, only to realize after all its a decent product (I've seen and heard that all before lol)

Jared

Comment

Fair enough, not "knocking" it though. The general idea behind a "new and improved" part is to downplay the existing part on market, which in this case is a bad idea (as it is nearly all the time).

A good marketing approach would NOT be the "bigger/better/faster than the existing market" but rather approach it by simply state that its a very nice strong belt and let the customer weigh in on the bigger/better/faster part.

And heck yeah I'm going to try one out for the sake of it.
                                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
                                X