M20 Gates Racing Belt Coming Soon.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by digger View Post
    the only comment is that the conti is proven on an M20, and these new gates ones specific for the M20 are not yet proven....?
    Not directing this towards you but others have mentioned the word "proven" as well in the same sentence

You say Contitech is proven but to what degree? 5k? 10k? 15k?? What type of Numbers is that car putting down? How is the car being driven? There are many variables that take place.

Does anyone have any pictures they wish to contribute of there Initial Contitech or OE Belt With 20 to 30k on it pushing over 300HP? and when I say Initial I mean they didn't change out the belt halfway in between etc...

I would honestly like to see pictures to be honest.

I feel that most people that are frowning upon the idea is mainly due to the price point of the belt itself.

I'll send and email to the Gates Rep to confirm or Denyif this Belt will be ready this month or NOT until December like someone mentioned in this thread already.

Jared

Comment

I feel that most people that are frowning upon the idea is mainly due to the price point of the belt itself.

Jared[/QUOTE]

I can see why ppl are doing such.. but other than that i do not see why everyone is making such a big fuss out of it. no one is putting a gun to your head and say "buy this belt or your car is gonna blow up!" its just a different product, higher price, and hasnt seem to be tested yet. either buy it or dont.

that being said... please let us know when they will be available.. i would like one of these.

also not sure if this was mentioned in this thread earlier, but i would "assume" gates is going to test this belt to some extent before selling it correct?
      10 minutes... then we invade China.
      We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
      And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

building and modifying engines costs alot of money. $100 for one of the most critical components is peanuts if it outdoes the stock belt in every aspect (other than $$ of course).
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

^ more or less what i was getting at
          10 minutes... then we invade China.
          We'll begin with the small town of General Tso's,
          And move to the Orange chicken province.

Comment

Originally posted by IveGotIssues666 View Post
            Not directing this towards you but others have mentioned the word "proven" as well in the same sentence

You say Contitech is proven but to what degree? 5k? 10k? 15k?? What type of Numbers is that car putting down? How is the car being driven? There are many variables that take place.

Does anyone have any pictures they wish to contribute of there Initial Contitech or OE Belt With 20 to 30k on it pushing over 300HP? and when I say Initial I mean they didn't change out the belt halfway in between etc...

I would honestly like to see pictures to be honest.

I'll send and email to the Gates Rep to confirm or Denyif this Belt will be ready this month or NOT until December like someone mentioned in this thread already.

Jared
            http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...after-24-years!
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

And thats a stock engine, I clearly stated FI engines I am very well aware the factory belt can handle over its service interval I just picked up an 87 325i that was sitting for 10 years and the timing belt still looked fine.

I have many customers on OE Belts that are well over the yearly interval yet haven't met the mileage interval and the belts still look decent.

Comment

And thats a stock engine, I clearly stated FI engines I am very well aware the factory belt can handle over its service interval I just picked up an 87 325i that was sitting for 10 years and the timing belt still looked fine.

I have many customers on OE Belts that are well over the yearly interval yet haven't met the mileage interval and the belts still look decent.

The timing belt does not know if the engine is FI or not what it will know is how dirty or oily its running conditions are how many heat cycles, how much sitting around, how much valve spring pressure how many running hours and to a degree how much rpm.

Most belts dont break they just strip off the teeth and the main reason for doing that is through loss of tension and any of the factors above can affect how it wears or stays tight... if nothing else a simple retension every now and then will add years to the life of a belt

having said that i have an expensive engine that has heavy springs reves a lot, gets hot, and also sits around a lot so i would be interested in a brand name belt with reputation for reliability in high stress engines. The price isnt a factor... unless it was something really stupid

any news on these????
                sigpic

I sell ITB's and performance parts www.racehead.com.au

e21 race car m20 power! 293Whp atmo 2.9
                details here http://e21jps.webs.com

drive by video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOdPbErYlho
                incar race http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbr0ZCmjsYM
                incar video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQyvDR-B00A
                drag racing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmznH6PND4

Comment

Originally posted by e21jps View Post
                  The timing belt does not know if the engine is FI or not what it will know is how dirty or oily its running conditions are how many heat cycles, how much sitting around, how much valve spring pressure how many running hours and to a degree how much rpm.

Most belts dont break they just strip off the teeth and the main reason for doing that is through loss of tension and any of the factors above can affect how it wears or stays tight... if nothing else a simple retension every now and then will add years to the life of a belt

having said that i have an expensive engine that has heavy springs reves a lot, gets hot, and also sits around a lot so i would be interested in a brand name belt with reputation for reliability in high stress engines. The price isnt a factor... unless it was something really stupid

any news on these????
                  Yes I agree and understand the Timing Belt doesn't know those factors however they all do have an effect. That's basically what I was trying to say in order to get my point across and with all those factors of an FI engine it will put more wear on the T-Belt where the stock belt was not manufactured to handle those conditions.

And I still stand by my statement that I do not beleive the stock belt whether Genuine BMW, or Contitech etc... would last the full service interval of 4 years 50k (Well probably the 4 years if all the car was used for was tracking on the weekends some odd situation where it would sit more than being driven)

I've seen timing belts missing teeth but I have also seen them plenty of times wear on from the edges towards the center of the belt (literally running on like half a belt) And those are all just stock factory timing belts some at the service interval and others well over or just unknown

As for when the belt should be available? So far the Gates rep told be it would be now be manufactured before December but not available to customers UNTIL December

Comment

As for when the belt should be available? So far the Gates rep told be it would be now be manufactured before December but not available to customers UNTIL December
                    i know what i'm asking my wife to get me for xmas...
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by einstein57 View Post
                      Great argument :roll:

The contitech belt does not just snap with people running ppf cams and making over 600whp under boost. And that belt is $12, $35 including the roller. So i find it a little difficult to understand the need for a stronger $100 belt with 0 information from the manufacturer as far as service intervals. So people are either going to ride it out hoping the belt last 2-3x longer and possibly destroying their motor in the process. Or replace the belt within the standard intervals (3 years /45k miles according to my factory trained 30 year BMW mechanic/father) which the factory belt handles just fine.
                      Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                        Agreed.
                        And I agree with that statement as well. "The Belt is not going to just snap" with a 600HP m20 beast. The point I was just trying to make was the fact of longetivity of the factory belt on an engine as such. The factory belt was never engineered for that kind of HP/Torque (The GATES One will be)

That being said I was simply trying to gather data of how long people are running the factory belt on a Forced induction m20 pushing 300HP or more (without replacing it) has it lasted 5k 10k, 15k, 20k etc.... at any of those intervals how does the condition of the belt look from a longetivity standpoint. More than likely the belt is removed anywhere in between those intervals for issues such as maybe puling the head to replace the head gasket or other modifications/issues for more HP etc... so in other words the belt is getting replaced pretty often I'd say.

And further more I'm not referring to a factory bone stock 325i or 325e as I know first hand the stock belts have lasted well over 10 years and 6 years respectively in a few of my own personal cars

Jared

Comment

... For those interested in these Gates belts, I have been talking with a friend who works for FCP Euro and he was looking into the belts for me since I became a little interested since reading this thread.

... anyway he tells me the Volvo community has been using them with good results, and the expected ETA on them for the M20 is this Dec. (12/13) as for price I'll have that later on as he will let me know a little later this morning. I was also told they will be offering this belt in a few different kit forms, again I'll post up later as soon as I get the info.

Comment

Sub'd

I'll definitely be buying one.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                            HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by shadowracer View Post
                              ... For those interested in these Gates belts, I have been talking with a friend who works for FCP Euro and he was looking into the belts for me since I became a little interested since reading this thread.

... anyway he tells me the Volvo community has been using them with good results, and the expected ETA on them for the M20 is this Dec. (12/13) as for price I'll have that later on as he will let me know a little later this morning. I was also told they will be offering this belt in a few different kit forms, again I'll post up later as soon as I get the info.
                              Im sure pricing will obviously vary depending on which companies will choose to carry them. I know in the VW/Audi scene prices on the individual belt will vary greatly like places like ecstuning may want more compared to other places like say amazon etc... where sellers may want considerably less.

I will also get in touch with the GATES rep to see which other companies have chosen to carry the belt. I know from the beginning of this thread I sent them a list of 10 plus sites that would possibly be interested.

This is exciting news that this is moving forward.

Jared

Comment

Thanks for the update! I am watching this thread

Comment

Working...
                                X