Lots of water vapor in exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of water vapor in exhaust

This morning was a little chilly, and there was a lot of condensation in my exhaust. While going down the road with other cars, I noticed I was putting off way more vapor than anybody.

Most other cars appeared to be warmed up and not making any condensation.

It's 58 degrees F out now with 55% humidity, and I drove a few minutes to lunch and back, and it's still puffing water vapor. It even steams a little when it's shut off.

Here it is while idling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI8P-2fs810

Here it is after stopping the engine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5dv0udkTIk

There's no oil in my coolant reservoir, or water in my oil.

I recently changed the timing belt, and did what was probably a shitty job bleeding the cooling system. I am afraid that maybe a bubble in the cooling system has lead to a hot spot in the block and a crack. Is this possible without any other symptoms like cross-contamination in my oil and coolant?
    "What? Something about road noise? I can't hear you..."

Likely just the cold weather. If you start losing coolant, then you definitely have a HG/Head problem. If your coolant level is not decreasing, then no issue with a cracked head/block.

Interested to see if others have any information...
    I like cats.

Comment

That's nothing. If you are burning coolant, it would be white thick smoke.

Comment

Taste it.

If it's sweet, you're fucked.

If it just tastes like water that ran through an engine, it's all good.

The E30 dumps more water out it's exhaust than any other car I've ever had.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Mine does the same thing. As long as your not losing coolent your good

Comment

^ This.

OP, Your being a bit paranoid I think. Given the temperature and humidity numbers you gave it sounds fine. Just keep an eye on your temps and coolant level.
            1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
            1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
            bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X