Silicone Hoses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silicone Hoses

So with the 2nd new head ive decided to change the hoses while im in there. I prefer silicone because of durability and piece of mind, samco makes a kit but im not looking to spend 366 + shipping on 5 hoses when ebay have a thousand six piece kits (all seemingly made in china)

Anyone have any experience with those hoses? Quality, durability, longevity?

Yes got the eBay kit.. No issues.

Well one bit of fitment issue with the top driver size hose (late e30 coolant system) being too short. Ordered the correct hose from a site online (forgot which just searched and found the correct hose) didn't bother trying to get the correct one from eBay seller. All in all spent about 100ish maybe a bit more can't remember.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

IE sell hoses for $80-90

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

IE sell hoses for $80-90
        Actually, it's $136 to get all 6 hoses for the late model. I have read that since silicone hoses are so stiff and don't expand with heat that it's easy to crack a non-new plastic radiator connection. Anyone experienced this?

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
          Actually, it's $136 to get all 6 hoses for the late model. I have read that since silicone hoses are so stiff and don't expand with heat that it's easy to crack a non-new plastic radiator connection. Anyone experienced this?
          sounds like total BS,

but yes when you add the other hose sold separate its that but that is still extremely cheap
          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
            sounds like total BS,

but yes when you add the other hose sold separate its that but that is still extremely cheap
            Let me first say digger I like you, all your responses are straight to the point and no bs. You don't even worry about making it sound friendly, and I love it.

Knowing how brittle all the plastic in our cars are I don't doubt that the rad connector could crack, however I would suspect in that instance the silicone hoses were:
            A. Improperly sized
            B. Improperly installed

There shouldn't be any reason why installing a silicone hose would cause extra stress to other components if you use quality parts and common sense.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I guess i'll give ebay a shot since I hear everything from IE is made in china anyways. Either that for pay triple for samco hoses...

Comment

Yes they IE ones are made from 中国
              I've had two of them fail and piss coolant everywhere stranding me in less than a year, and yes I used the proper rolled clamps provided.

Went back to OEM rubber.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                Yes they IE ones are made from 中国
                I've had two of them fail and piss coolant everywhere stranding me in less than a year, and yes I used the proper rolled clamps provided.

Went back to OEM rubber.
                I kept telling you that you over-tightened the piss out of them. Having a second failure reinforces that theory. How is it that mine have lasted 4 years so far without issue?

And sure the hoses were made in China. So are the oem ones now days (regardless of the 'Made in' sticker).

Originally posted by essi1553 View Post
                since I hear everything from IE is made in china anyways. Either that for pay triple for samco hoses...
                Sounds like you're listening to people who don't know much.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                  I kept telling you that you over-tightened the piss out of them. Having a second failure reinforces that theory. How is it that mine have lasted 4 years so far without issue?

And sure the hoses were made in China. So are the oem ones now days (regardless of the 'Made in' sticker).

Would have went ie myself but didn't have the color I wanted .. That being said the silicone hoses I have, haven't had a single issue.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
                  -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by essi1553 View Post
                    Let me first say digger I like you, all your responses are straight to the point and no bs. You don't even worry about making it sound friendly, and I love it.

Knowing how brittle all the plastic in our cars are I don't doubt that the rad connector could crack, however I would suspect in that instance the silicone hoses were:
                    A. Improperly sized
                    B. Improperly installed

There shouldn't be any reason why installing a silicone hose would cause extra stress to other components if you use quality parts and common sense.

Thanks for the heads up guys, I guess i'll give ebay a shot since I hear everything from IE is made in china anyways. Either that for pay triple for samco hoses...
                    i get grumpier as i get older;)

my dads S50b32 almost lunched the engine when original (i think) radiator stub cracked on his 96 m3 and mum continued to drive it while it coughed and spluttered and stalled. somehow no damage appears to have been done so anyone with plastic radiators replace them if you cant remember when it was done.
                    Last edited by digger; 01-11-2014, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I was lucky, after some more searching last night I was able to find a 6 piece samco hose kit for $169 +$25 for shipping. So I bit.

Just so you know, I didn't ask these guys what are the differences, I asked them about their experiences. With two bad experiences in 5 posts (one didnt fit, and being left stranded) I received enough infomation to spend some extra money on quality.

Comment

And I've told you more than once that the hoses were not over tightened (who does that?) and the rolled clamps provided were used.
                        The second hose going doesn't reinforce any theory other than that I either had bogus hoses or the quality of your hoses in general are just not up to par.
                        I appreciate the warranty on the first rad hose Andrew, but after being ignored on my inquiry of the second failed one I just threw them out.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

All hoses are not made equal...

I can tell simply by looking at the IE ones that they are garbage, no offense, but if you look at the tubing there is barely any consistency. You can easily notice the shifting diameter close to every bend. Also most of the areas that should be larger in diameter (the parts when it connects thermostat or radiator) just aren't. It's poor quality.

Comment

The reason I'm arguing this so vehemently is that I sincerely believe in what I'm saying. And that belief comes from experience, I have second hand experience with dealing with more than 100 people running these hoses and AK is the ONLY one to have had this issue repeatedly (there was one other person who split a hose, I told him to not go so tight on the warrantied-hose and he hasn't had a problem since, there's also been a couple with worn motor mounts). I challenge you and AK to find someone whose experience was the same. From personal experience, I've been running them on my own car for a number of years, as well as all the shop race cars.

Forgive me if I don't take your judgement of "poor quality" seriously since it is based off of no real world experience and limited to a harshly-lit product listing photo. I spot similar inconsistencies in the samco hoses you've posted (howabout that 90' bend in the upper radiator hose? Sure looks constricted based on the ONE PHOTO I've seen)

AK - If you messaged me for a second round and I did not respond, I apologize. Sometimes it does happen. If you are ever in the area I'd be happy to put the hose on your actual car for you and check for whatever else might be actually going on.
                            Last edited by SkiFree; 01-12-2014, 02:29 PM.
                            ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by vpilarrt View Post
                              It's happened to me! Too much stress on it + heat and movement from racing all day.

Happened with samco hoses the way

Comment

Working...
                              X