M20 clunking/knocking loudly on cold startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 clunking/knocking loudly on cold startup

Recently did the headgasket on my b25. I got the head cleaned and resurfaced. The machine shop also pressure tested it and it had no problems.

After I got everything back together, I did a valve adjustment and fired her up. Still pretty noisy.

Let it cool down for a while, did another valve adjustment, then turned it back on.

So my question is: does having a clean head with less gunk floating around make the clicking noisier? should I keep trying to adjust those valves till it goes away? are there other problems that might cause this? from what I've read, sometimes the eccentrics get a notch worn in them, but that isn't the case here.

Edit: after firing it up and letting it run warm a couple of times, I realized the sound isn't the usual valvetrain click, it's more of a clunking sound. It goes away once the engine warms up.
    Last edited by thatphysicsguy; 08-14-2014, 12:06 PM.
    '91 325i

I had the exact same issue with a newly built head so I'll share my dumb-ass mistake ...

I had set the valves to 0.025 thousandths instead of 0.25mm (which is 0.010 thousandths). It sounded awful to say the least.

Just something to double check.

The E30 collection:
    1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
    1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
    1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
    1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
    1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
    1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
    1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
    2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
    2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Timing belt a tooth off resulting in piston/valve contact? How much material did the machine shop remove? Were the depth-dimples still in the head?

Where did you place the feeler gauge? The consensus says that you should put it between the cam and the inside of the rocker. Then set it to 0.007 (I did 0.20mm) because of rocker ratio. The reason to measure it there is because the eccentrics, over time can beat a depression into the top of the valve and the feeler when placed there bridges the gap giving an incorrect setting. -----> )l) <----- That's my best shot at a drawing of this phenomenon.

I once replaced a head (w/junkyard head) and when I got it back on after rebuilding it, I had a ton of snap-snap-snaping when I would drive. I had ever so slightly bent a valve on the spring side while putting the cam (or rocker shaft) back in. So it would stick open then get forcibly shut by the piston. It was a pretty violent sound though. Probably not what's going on with you.

On another note, the pulley spacer you made for me is still performing exactly as it was intended. Thanks again.
      Originally posted by Andy.B
      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
      1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      I was born on 3/25…
      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
        Timing belt a tooth off resulting in piston/valve contact? How much material did the machine shop remove? Were the depth-dimples still in the head?

Where did you place the feeler gauge? The consensus says that you should put it between the cam and the inside of the rocker. Then set it to 0.007 (I did 0.20mm) because of rocker ratio. The reason to measure it there is because the eccentrics, over time can beat a depression into the top of the valve and the feeler when placed there bridges the gap giving an incorrect setting. -----> )l) <----- That's my best shot at a drawing of this phenomenon.

I once replaced a head (w/junkyard head) and when I got it back on after rebuilding it, I had a ton of snap-snap-snaping when I would drive. I had ever so slightly bent a valve on the spring side while putting the cam (or rocker shaft) back in. So it would stick open then get forcibly shut by the piston. It was a pretty violent sound though. Probably not what's going on with you.

On another note, the pulley spacer you made for me is still performing exactly as it was intended. Thanks again.
        Thanks, glad it's working out well for you!

The noise (more of a knocking actually now that I think about it) goes away when warm, so maybe it's no issue at all?
        '91 325i

Comment

What oil are you running in your car? Incorrect oil can cause a lot noise.

Comment

20w-50 castrol

Oil isn't it

Maybe it's just natural m20 noise? it is dramatic on cold startup, but goes away once warm. It's different than usual m20 valve click. A much deeper knocking sound
            '91 325i

Comment

Having the exact same issue. Had my head rebuilt while doing a head gasket. Adjusted the valves on install; lots of noise. Adjusted again after 500 miles; still lots of noise. Going to give the cam/rocker method a try versus measuring at the eccentric.

thatphysicsguy: if you figure out what your noise issue is please let us know.

Comment

I've heard that a nice fresh top end can finish off a well used bottom end. I don't know if there's any truth to it. Could it be rod-knock?
                Originally posted by Andy.B
                Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                ~~~~~~~~~~
                I was born on 3/25…
                ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

you sure your not hearing injector tick?
                  1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                  1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                  bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by AwakenNoMore View Post
                    you sure your not hearing injector tick?
                    Yes, this. Stethoscope it to see if it's actually coming from under the valve cover. The injectors are loud.
                    Eternally searching for a nice set of BMW Sheepskin Seat Covers for Comfort Seats.

Comment

The noise goes away once the motor is warm (which is a good sign kinda) and is more of a clunking/knocking sound rather than valvetrain/injector click.
                      '91 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                        I've heard that a nice fresh top end can finish off a well used bottom end. I don't know if there's any truth to it. Could it be rod-knock?
                        There is some science to this the idea being that the improved compression from a valve job adds too much stress to a worn bottom end. I have to say that an engine "clunk" is never normal so I wouldn't ignore it.
                        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                        Alice the Time Capsule
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by thatphysicsguy View Post
                          20w-50 castrol

Oil isn't it

Maybe it's just natural m20 noise? it is dramatic on cold startup, but goes away once warm. It's different than usual m20 valve click. A much deeper knocking sound
                          Exactly what i have opened head twice and the sound is there even after engine rebuilt, it is been there for more than 8 years lol.

I think it is a rod/main bearing clearance issue since i changed the bearings twice during 8 years they always came badly worn, but even after new bearings sound is still there .

Comment

Could be piston slap if it goes away when engine warms up
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Hey Everyone, just checking back in for the sake of posterity on this. This was years ago that this happened and while I can't quite remember all the details, I think I eventually traced it back to either a loose pulley or the cooling fan slapping the radiator shroud. I ended up getting the motor mounts changed and rechecked the belts and everything was running smoothly from there.
                              '91 325i

Comment

Working...
                              X