Rotating oil filter 180 degrees M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotating oil filter 180 degrees M20

Has anyone tried this? I installed a shitty fitting set of OBX headers someone gave me. My oil cooler lines were touching the manifold and it didn't look like i would be able to remove the filter after it was installed. I flipped the filter housing so the filter faces the front of the motor. There is a lot more clearance and space from the manifold. This is a dedicated track car so oil temp is a concern.

I did notice what looked like a notch in the interior of the housing. It appears to lock the housing from being able to rotate. It didn't seem anything need to line up for oiling purposes. I don't think this thing will be able to back it self off as there is limited range for the filter to travel upwards.

Fired the car up, got pressure, looked like there was a lot of oil splashing around in the valves. Shut car off oil light came back on in about 30 seconds. Started up again pressure light immediately off.

Think I am good?

Thanks

I ran the rotated housing on a turbo'd m20 for almost a year. No problems at all.

Comment

Mine has been flipped for about 3 years now, no issues.

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Plus it makes filter changes easier with the filter flipped around :p

Comment

Nice thanks guys

Comment

Originally posted by jaywood View Post
            Plus it makes filter changes easier with the filter flipped around :p
            +1.

I have mine vertical with the filter pointing down. So much easier to get to. And this is on an M20 turbo setup as well.
            1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
            2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
            2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Any pics of this

Sent from my Samsung Note 3
              '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
              '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

Mine points forward to get it away from the header...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

oil cooler on M20 is total waste.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                    oil cooler on M20 is total waste.
                    in what way?
                    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

5 series doesn't even have oil cooler. I really don't know why BMW equipped E30 with oil cooler. M20 is low rev engine, does not have piston oil squirters, does not have timing chain, and oil pan is exposed to incoming air so there is no real reason for oil cooler even if you use the car for racing.

Comment

i have the eta nipple on my car. but I'm kind of tempted to put an oil cooler on my car.

Comment

Not sure I agree with that under a Half hour on the track in my oil temp is well over 250. I don't know what it would be without the cooler but I'm sure it will be higher. This is running open thermostat and low water temperature. As far as low revs I guess it's all relative we run between 4500 and 7k rpm. Not that it's impossible but never seen a five series with an m20 on the track. I imagine they would run even hotter but I'll probably less likely to be used in this fashion therefore didn't get a cooler
                          Last edited by brads2002; 10-16-2014, 04:01 AM.

Comment

b25 was conceived before 1985 and between that and 2014 is a long way as advancements in oil chemistry go. b25 in e34 were never meant to receive even close amount of thrashing as in e30. For comparison 325i was equally as fast (if not faster) as 635CSi back in the day, but a cheaper and much more "tossable" overall package.
                            My transaction feedback on r3vlimited :):Clickety click

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBMW View Post
                              I really don't know why BMW equipped E30 with oil cooler. M20 is low rev engine, does not have piston oil squirters, does not have timing chain, and oil pan is exposed to incoming air so there is no real reason for oil cooler even if you use the car for racing.
                              I know I'm not alone wondering why you're in Arizona instead of Munich.
                              Originally posted by kronus
                              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                              X