Compression Results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EyExR View Post
    Yes, I was thinking about this last night and was reading up on how the CPS sends signals to the ECU.

I didn't realize there were two types. I will try to track one down with the metal housing... Anyone have a part number handy?
    The CPS is a passive (unpowered) inductive pickup. Frequency and amplitude of the generated voltage sine wave increase as engine RPMs increase. I don't know enough about electromagnetism to understand what problems would occur (if any), by using a part with a higher resistance.

The part numbers are the same for plastic vs metal housings - seems some manufacturers have started producing units with plastic housings, perhaps for durability/cost reasons. My initial part was Vemo (FAE?), the replacement (metal housing) was German made SWAG. Either I got a bad batch, someone can't read a spec sheet or it doesn't make a damned bit of difference. My engine certainly seems happier with the replacement unit installed.

Running both units via an oscilloscope and revving the engine would be an interesting exercise to see if there's any appreciable difference in output.

Part number I used is 12141720852. I'd be real interested to hear if swapping yours made any difference.
    Last edited by Lugnuts; 12-23-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

when i swapped mine to the plastic version due to the old original one becoming suspect there was zero difference
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
        when i swapped mine to the plastic version due to the old original one becoming suspect there was zero difference
        I'd be interested to know if the resistance was the same for both units.
        Last edited by Lugnuts; 12-23-2014, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Well, I'll hold off on buying another CPS for now...

I've sent my injectors out to MEPEH to be cleaned. We'll see how refreshed stock M20 injectors do...
          My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Well... got the injectors back. After I installed them in the rail I did a quick test and one of them had around 5 or 6 drops of gas come out past the pintle cap then it stopped. I'm assuming this is ok? It wasn't leaking at all after that... jeez. It's always SOMETHING.

I went for a drive. I thought everything was good! but after about 20 minutes. CEL comes back on.

I guess I'll suspect the O2 sensor and cat next...

What a fiasco.. :???:
            My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

One thing I don't think I mentioned is that my brakes feel hard. I know this could be the brake booster... How do I test?

When I put my foot on the brake pedal and start the car it moves down to the floor so it 'seems' ok. But when I'm driving it's definitely a bit hard.

I ask because when I had my smoke test done we found a couple of small leaks at the cam plugs but that was it. From my understanding, you can still have a vac leak at the booster that will NOT show up from a smoke test. Correct?

Need a little advice here fellas...
              My 325iX DIY Threads:

Comment

Working...
              X