Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Running A 284/272 or Similar Cam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nitro325is
    On one of my cars Ive got a BMP 282/272 cam with their HD valvesprings for insurance because that cam is high lift 11.5/11.0 ......so check your spec as well. I wouldnt trust oem springs with that.
    You can feel it come on at 4000 rpm feels great especially on a highly modded engine like mine.
    Good info, thanks --- I'll look at the lift numbers.

You say your motor is highly modded --- how so, exactly?

Comment

I have the shrick 284/272. I think dual pattern is the way to go on the M20, unless you are building a race engine or something, and many others agree. my idle is lopey, but pretty smooth at 650rpm, smoother than it was stock IMO (my car no longer shakes and shudders at stoplights).

I'm also using new OEM springs, they should be fine (my cam is 11.5mm lift as well). Shrick requires HD springs with durations of 288 or above though. I may have bought HD springs, but I got the new springs so cheap I couldn't pass them up. And pulling the head apart isn't that tough, so I can always swap them later if I desire..

oh, and be sure to check valve clearances! mine is very close, at the edge of minimum tolerances. I wasn't very comfortable with it so I adjusted my valves a little loose. the valve pockets on my MM pistons are huge though, so I won't have to worry about it after that (and it will no longer be an interference engine! yay!).
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

youll need stiffer valve springs when you rev higher, or else the valves will start floating and experience spring fatigue
        the cam sprocket will run 279 bucks for vac motorsports

when you deck the head, it retards the cam, so you might need a cam gear to re align it, but you dont have to though,
        plus its about twice as light as the stocker sprocket :p

Comment

Originally posted by Super Eurobeat
          youll need stiffer valve springs when you rev higher, or else the valves will start floating and experience spring fatigue
          the cam sprocket will run 279 bucks for vac motorsports

when you deck the head, it retards the cam, so you might need a cam gear to re align it, but you dont have to though,
          plus its about twice as light as the stocker sprocket :p
          Well, I won't be revving any higher --- just staying at higher RPM longer, as this is where the cam will come in --- but I understand what you're saying.

As I understand it, our M20 heads are sensitive to valve spring stiffness --- too stiff and the head will develop cracks around the seats. So I am wary of upgrading to stiffer springs.

Being that Schrick and DBilas both recommend stiffer springs only once you go w/ a 288 or higher degree cam, I won't bother w/ stiffer springs for a dual pattern 282/272 cam --- just new standard i springs, to account for 125k miles of aging on the current springs.

What good does a lighter cam sprocket do? I already have one, but it's not installed and I was debating selling it since I won't be decking the head.

Comment

less rotational mass, but it's so small it won't make any difference.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have a MM cam 292 now they make them 288 as far as I know me and PatP from FL we are the only two who have the same head work and cam.

Comment

Working...
              X