Condor solid motor mounts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condor solid motor mounts?

Doing a built 2.7i swap soon. Got my mounts (condor solid) and i realized that they are crazy hard. I have heard stories about engines being destroyed because of solid (aluminum?) engine mounts... Will i have any problems with condors? Im not planning to track my car.. It will be mostly daily driven, maybe couple AutoX and drift events during the summer, but mostly daily driven.

Just wondering as i really wouldn't want to destroy my engine because of a simple thing like this after putting 2K+ in it.

I have condor mounts and I have a 2.5 swap.been daily driving it for 2 years now. My mounts are umhw not aluminum.
    One thing I would recommend doing is stiffening your subframe.

Comment

If you will be dailying her most of the time, why do you even want solid mounts? They will vibrate the shit out of your car. That alone is annoying enough, regardless of the risk of breaking things.
      1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
      5-Speed Swapped
      M30B35 Swapped
      MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
      260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

I guess stock mounts it is then.

Comment

If you want something stiffer than stock, but not solid, get a set of poly mounts. They will still be pretty stiff and add some vibration to the car, but not nearly as much as solid mounts (UHMW/aluminum).

Comment

I was thinking about revshifts 75A mounts, but they are 100$ the stocks are like 10-20... Is there really a need for poly mounts? Will it somehow improve the car? Or are they just better because they take longer time to wear out.?

Comment

Stiffer drivetrain mounts (engine, transmission, differential, etc) improve throttle response, add more a rigid feel to the car, and give you a more raw driving experience because there is less flex in the system. In my opinion, it is not worth the risk of overstressing the sheet metal that the mounts bolt to unless you're building a balls out track/drift rat with the appropriate structural reinforcements.

All OEM cars come with soft mounts to improve driver and passenger comfort, but the real reason for them is to direct all the drivetrain and road vibration into a small part that is cheap and easily replaceable. If you call up a fab shop and ask how much it is to repair a subframe/chassis with stress fractures, I guarantee it will be more than you want to pay.
              1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
              5-Speed Swapped
              M30B35 Swapped
              MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
              260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

i daily condors all the way around..

never heard of blowing up motors.

cant even tell the diff, just feels.. solid.

some of you guys are way too fookin soft.

Comment

anyone tried those fancy mounts from vibra technics?
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

OP, there is a gob-ton of information out there.

Here's one

Here's another regarding urethane and umhw from just a bit ago.
                    ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I used condor motor mounts, and e36 trans mounts for my non-DD. Theres some vibration after a cold start but after the car is warmed up, it feels stock. On/off throttle feels direct and makes it a fun driver.

Comment

i love my motor and transmission mounts.
                        Singer Vehicle Design.
                        Quan@singervehicledesign.com

Comment

I have been driving my car with the full Condor set up for a year and it does vibrate the car but it's worth it in the way it feels . Solid
                          sigpic

Comment

running AKG 75D engine and trans mounts here. Might as well be steel for how little give they have in them. Notice more noise and vibration, in particular if you have any wear in your tailshaft. Otherwise, I can stand driving on them all the time, not something for people who like quiet cars though.

As a side note, you guys with poly mounts, make sure you recheck them every 3 months or so. They do shrink a little bit and require periodic tightening to make sure its all good.
                            Just a little project im working on
                            - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

I also think stiffer motor/trans mounts make it easier to find gears while you're hard on/off throttle in a hard driving situation, since the transmission and shift linkages will twist with the drivetrain.

FWIW, I run poly trans mounts and Condor motor mounts in my 318is. (I forgot if solid mounts affect the M42 more or less than the M20, but I've heard there's some difference.) Daily driver, autocross, and track. I'm keeping an eye on my subframe with reinforcements on my list.
                              Last edited by Ocell; 04-21-2015, 06:45 PM. Reason: .
                              91 318is Members' Rides Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X