No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to drive through there a lot on my way to Cedar Park to see the Texas Stars play. Would still be doing that if not for this pandemic killing the AHL's season.

Comment

We diagnosed the oil leak to our valve cover gasket. I've read all the threads, and its really ambiguous. My local BMW shop had a VR gasket with the red line around it so I picked that up. Will lightly goop the new rocker shaft plugs with RTV and replace. Will also lightly RTV the front and back of cover where most of the leaks are coming from. I think the VC bolts were a bit tight too, so will torque to 10 lbs this time.

I'm wondering if our high oil pressure (60 psi cold) and boost contributes to the leak. The head is obviously pressurized under boost.

We're running VR1 20W50. 'Bird, what do you recommend for a boosted engine?

And finally Fuck You Hans (aka BMW engineer) for designing a valve cover with 7 inches between the bolts!
      "And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
      2002 E39 M5

Comment

Easy to put a boost gauge on your crank case, but most likely it's being pressurized unless you have vacuum on it. I always goop both sides of the VC gasket, they always seem to weep.

VR1 is decent oil for NA and the street, but for the turbo and race cars I use 20w60 RaceTec. LiquiMoly is reasonable $$ for the weight/quality.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks. I just grabbed a couple of 5L jugs of RaceTec 10W60 on Amazon. Will run that at the upcoming track day.

Going to re-do the valve cover tomorrow

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Track day is Friday. This valve cover is really pissing me off.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I might have one if you need one in a pinch. Sent you a text.
              Last edited by Elysian; 12-12-2020, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks man. Terry Sayther saved my ass, again. He's bringing over one tomorrow. I owe him a bottle of Scotch.

Digger is resurrecting the CAD file to laser cut vc gaskets. I'll experiment with rubber types. When I find the right recipe will sell to you guys at cost.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Wait XX76 is your cell! Too funny! I thought it was Terry. See you tomorrow man! :-)

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Check the little locating tab on the rocker shafts isn't protruding too much out of the head. The VC has a little "bridge" there that holds the tab down. If that tab is crooked, or raised, then it interferes with the VC sealing. The cover needs very little torque on the nuts to seal. I rub a ~1/32" layer of goop on there too (Right Stuff).
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Back in business, thanks to Elysian.

Stock gasket, slight goop on plugs, carefully torqued to 8 ft-lbs in stages of finger tight, 2 ft-lb, 4 ft-lb, 8 ft-lb all around. Waiting for RTV to seal on the turbo oil pressure regulator return fitting. Seal looks good all the way around. We'll start it tomorrow afternoon.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Was nice meeting you, car looks awesome

Comment

Fired it up. No leaks

2002 E39 M5

Comment

I can never seem to get my VC to stop leaking either, with any of the gasket types. Haven't tried goop.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

The key was slight SLIGHT skim of goop around the plugs before inserting. Surgically clean head and VC with Scotch brite. OEM gasket. Then very even torque sequence. All finger tight, all 2, all 4, all 8 ft-lbs. Bone dry now.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

You're talking about the rocker shaft plugs? Did you goop the rest of the gasket at all?

Which one is oem type, the rubber one with the texture? I seem to have more luck with the stiff paper ones that have the red bead of sealant running through the center.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                                X