No announcement yet.

Das Beast: My E30 track / street build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last piece. Rear subframe is out. Now we rebuild it all and replace.

"And then we broke the car. Again." Mark Donohue, "The Unfair Advantage"

1987 E30 3L Turbo Stroker Das Beast
    2002 E39 M5

Comment

Solid Steering Linkage V2

Rev 2 of the solid steering linkage is done. Solid block of 1" thick 6061 aluminum machined to replace your rubber steering linkage. Thanks to bmwstudent's tip it preserves geometry of your original linkage, keeping U-joints in phase.

I was going to offer these in general "for sale" but fucking trolls and Mom's Basement crowd were a pain in my ass. If you'd like one, PM me. Price is $80 each if I get a batch of 10 done.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Thin wall 30mm socket

Anyone removing wheel hubs or tackling the transmission, you will need a 30mm thin wall socket. GearWrench makes one. MPN 80826. Got mine from Amazon for $10.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Cat disapproves of original prototype

2002 E39 M5

Comment

What modifications are you doing to the subframe? Reinforcements all around, I bet.

I didn't think of it when I was doing mine, but I should have added another exhaust hanger on the drivers side to be more like the M3 hangers.
            P.O.S 1989 325is - aka Project Sh*tbox

Project Shitbox - Restomod and other stuff - soon to be 328is

Comment

Oh yeah, I only recently found these, but SRS concepts makes a sweet trailing arm reinforcement kit. If it was around when I did mine, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Although, I don't know if it will clear the gas hose on the passenger side.

Comment

We're doing ..... everything. :devil:

Welding in reinforcements for front & rear subframe, adding stronger front & rear sway bar attachments, reinforcing motor, transmission and sway bar bushing mounts, adding strut mounted drop link brackets and adjustable rear toe/camber brackets. Plus all the other bolt-on stuff: camber plates, coil overs, sway bars, delrin bushings etc.

Basically "while we're in there ....."

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Rear Suspension Sunday

So, it begins.

Dragged everything to the car wash and power washed the works. Freaking grease is stubborn. It's not clean, but clean-er anyway.

Rear wheel nut actually has a damn securing plate, hidden by all the grease.

Rob pried the thing out with a cold chisel. Patient did not survive the operation.

Banged out the hub. Worked no problem.

Circlip comes out next.

Broke down and bought this to pull the wheel bearings. Harbor Freight. $100. See the E30 DIY FAQ for how to use it.

Works great.

Took some banging at the end but dropped out no problem.

Inner wheel bearing removed.

Outer bearing was a different story. Totally seized to the wheel hub. Believe it or not, a Dremel tool cut through the bearing race like butter.

Nicely grooved wheel bearing. Did this at two points around the race.

Next we took a cold chisel to it. Came apart like a boiled egg in ten seconds.

Here's our home made bushing puller. Old nasty rubber bushings removed.

Final product. One rear trailing arm, ready to be cleaned before welding on reinforcements.

Rinse and repeat for the other side.

After removing the rear wheel bearings, we thought "Hey, let's remove the front ones." Here is Rob applying approximately 400 ft-lbs to our bearing puller hardware. It didn't break, but Rob's back didn't appreciate it. Guess what ..... The front wheel bearings can't be removed from the wheel hubs !!. Yeah, yeah, I know. Read the FAQ. Just thought I'd post this for anyone new to E30 wheel bearings. :devil:

That's all for today.
                  Last edited by dvallis; 05-07-2017, 04:21 PM. Reason: Typo

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Is there enough banging or torquing in the vice to bend a leg on a trailing arm? I wouldn't think so - just curious.

Comment

Good stuff! Going to be doing my rear bearings in a couple weeks. Should be fun lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                      I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Important! Don't bang on the trailing arm at a weird angle or apply torque. They are hollow and don't take stress well in unintended directions. If you are banging out an inner bearing, make sure the bearing face is flat on something solid. Vice in the photo above was just for support. Rob's photo with the hammer was taken after we moved the arm.

If a rear outer bearing is stuck, don't be afraid to Dremel it off.
                        Last edited by dvallis; 05-07-2017, 09:18 PM.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
                          Good stuff! Going to be doing my rear bearings in a couple weeks. Should be fun lol

If you know in advance, you can order that bearing removal tool kit from ebay for much cheaper. I bought this exact set to do my rear bearing back in December.

This one is $55 shipped

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post
                            If you know in advance, you can order that bearing removal tool kit from ebay for much cheaper. I bought this exact set to do my rear bearing back in December.

This one is $55 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FWD-Front-Wh...AAAOSw4A5YulHt
                            I bought mine at Harbor Freight.....took it back because "it didn't work"......;D

Comment

Originally posted by badwella View Post

This one is $55 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FWD-Front-Wh...AAAOSw4A5YulHt

Thanks for the link! Definitely better than the $150 for the ones I found around here

89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
                              I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Cat inspecting the Delrin bushings.

2002 E39 M5

Comment

Working...
                                X