No announcement yet.

Ye Olde 4000rpm stutter - FIXED

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disconnecting it makes no difference. I am going to replace it so I can feel like I'm doing something productive though. I'm just pissing in the wind until I install megasquirt. I ordered it from blueapplesoda, hopefully that gives me a few avenues to fixing this. Maybe it fixes it, maybe I put a few hundred .223 holes in the car.
    Last edited by Kershaw; 12-24-2015, 07:59 AM.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

Nice. You bought the kit!
      ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Problem with expecting MS to solve the issue is you would need to replace ALL the sensors at the same time. MS can be calibrated to factory sensors (minus the TPS) so if it's a bad sensor you'll still have a problem.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
        HSAX Instructor

Comment

Well, that's kind of issue. New sensors aren't fixing this. And all the sensors will be/are new. CPS, CTS, e36 TPS, and gm IAT, so.. hopefully it does fix it. If it doesn't fix it, yeah I don't know. Maybe I give up on e30s because apparently I am not qualified enough to work on them.

my CEL is on 90% of the time now. Even when it's pulling hard to redline. It just goes on most of the time and then off sporadically.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

And now my AWD has stopped working. No idea why. Maybe it died when I installed the new clutch, it didn't want to be touched or something. So yay, that's great.

I love this car so so so so much. :hitler:
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Sell it. Buy a new E30. Or focus on the E36.
              ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

I have too much money in the damn thing. I can't. What would someone pay for this pos? 2 grand? I spent 3 in the last 4 months on it.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Missed that this was an IX. Is there a reference sensor in the bottom of the trans bell housing where it meets the transfer case?

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                  HSAX Instructor

Comment

No there isn't. Reference center is up front on the harmonic balancer like all late model i cars.
                    AWD > RWD

Comment

So I bought a brand new coil on a whim, figured what the hell, even if stuff is testing ok, might as well replace it.

This is a Bosch 00060.

I'm getting 1.9 ohms between the two terminals and 6880 between the center and positive. Did they change the spec on these? Is there a certain temp that I need to be testing at? Or maybe I should go buy a good replacement for the nice multimeter I blew up instead of this HF unit.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

I was too lazy to read the whole thread, but did you check the condition of the mating connector when you were swapping engine harnesses? This connector gets screwed up from coolant leaking out of the throttle body. Also, have you checked all the sensor values at the DME connector? Maybe while moving the wiring around?

Comment

I have the throttlebody bypassed with one continuous hose, no coolant leaking out from that location.

Cleaned up all connections when installing.

One last hope is that my ignition coil (which runs fine in other e30s) is actually bad, and since it's beyond spec, I ordered a replacement. But that replacement is out of spec as well. So... got another one coming.

The other is different engine management. Hopefully my megasquirt will be here in a week or two. I'm not doing anything until I install it. My awd is broken anyway, have to see why before I drive it again.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Installed Blueapplesoda/dederic motorsports' megasquirt kit.

Install went remarkably smooth. Grabbed some 2 3/4" exhaust tubing and vacuum line from advance auto. Also, my friend noticed my old head and intake manifold had the cap at the end with 2 vacuum fittings, no need to T into the FPR line, so I swapped that over. Drilled a hole in the tubing and threaded the IAT sensor in (this is just for starting purposes, I'll make a better intake) and put my cone filter at the other end. 2 3/4" fits into the stock elbow if you force it in with a screwdriver. Derek includes an adapter plate and e36 variable TPS, that bolted right in. And that's it for the hardware side, IAT, vacuum line, and e36 TPS. Downloaded tuner studios and followed his easy directions for calibrating it to the engine sensors. It was very easy.

It idles high, but it runs well and I didn't experience any hiccups. Power delivery is smooth. Pulls hard, just like before with a non hiccup pull. I'm really happy with it. I'll update in a week to share if it's still going well or sooner if it's not. Haha.
                            AWD > RWD

Comment

Second 30 minute test drive performed on Sunday. Pulls hard, no hiccups.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

What a beautiful day for your IX, now winter just needs to end so we can get some cruises going.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Working...
                                X