Please help! Testing new timing belt by hand cranking, seems to bind up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help! Testing new timing belt by hand cranking, seems to bind up

Hey guys, I'm replacing the timing belt on my M20 and have been following the Bentley Manual and various threads, I am at absolute TDC (marks on cam gear/head lined up while marks on crank hub and notch are lined up). With the belt slipped on tension applied, I can only crank the motor by hand about 45 degrees before I feel it start to bind up. All spark plugs are out so it should be easy to crank over. What am I missing here? Everything tells me I'm at TDC and nothing moved while the belt was off. Kinda nervous over here, I hope I didn't put too much pressure on it and potentially bend a valve. Anyone ever experience this? A quick response would be awesome! Thank you!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
    --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Welp, I'm a huuuuge idiot. Forgot I briefly put the car in first gear earlier, it just dawned on me. Motor spins freely now and timing is on point.

Mods please delete this thread before I become the next trending meme, thank you

Comment

Originally posted by CubbyChowder View Post
      Hey guys, I'm replacing the timing belt on my M20 and have been following the Bentley Manual and various threads, I am at absolute TDC (marks on cam gear/head lined up while marks on crank hub and notch are lined up). With the belt slipped on tension applied, I can only crank the motor by hand about 45 degrees before I feel it start to bind up. All spark plugs are out so it should be easy to crank over. What am I missing here? Everything tells me I'm at TDC and nothing moved while the belt was off. Kinda nervous over here, I hope I didn't put too much pressure on it and potentially bend a valve. Anyone ever experience this? A quick response would be awesome! Thank you!
      Welp, I'm a huuuuge idiot. Forgot I briefly put the car in first gear earlier, it just dawned on me. Motor spins freely now and timing is on point.

Mods please delete this thread before I become the next trending meme, thank you

Lol!
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Too late!

Comment

Oh snap!
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

We laugh at you, and yet we have to admit we've done things far more stupid than that ourselves...

hee hee- glad it wasn't a valve.

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Well to add to my stupidity....

After putting everything back together, last step was to install the cooling hoses and something didn't seem right. Take a closer look and realize the new water pump looks different than the original...come to find out I installed a later model M20 water pump and my '87 325is runs the early style Had no idea there were different styles. ECS listed it as "fits models with build date 09/1987 and later" so I just figured it would work on my car since it's an "i" motor. My fault

The cherry on top was when I tore everything back down and was removing the late style water pump I had just installed, a washer fell down into the timing belt chamber, so it all has to come apart again :hitler:

shitty day haha

Comment

Jee whizz, Real shitty.
                1990 325i
                2004 330i Individual 6-speed
                sigpic

Comment

Good thing you figured it out without a issue. Check my thread it is crazy. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=388759

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyPrime View Post
                    Good thing you figured it out without a issue. Check my thread it is crazy. http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=388759

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
                    fuuuuuck that sucks, super sorry to hear that man! I feel lucky now. Hope you get it squared away

Comment

This thread is a winner, even though OP unfortunately isn't.
                      Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
                      X