Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch / Trans Guidance Please

Hi There Guys,

So the E30 I bought earlier this year (1990 325i) came with a Stage 4 Clutch installed (Autocross car) and while I'm interested in still auto-crossing the car, I would like to drive the car easier on the street. So would you guys recommend an OEM clutch like a Sachs brand for someone with mainly a street ability concern, but also interested in auto crossing every now and then?

My current trans is kinda chunky in 2nd and 3rd and won't always go into first. If I'm going to have the trans out for the clutch job, would it make more sense to have the Trans rebuilt or replace it with a pre-owned one?(And any tips?)

If the trans is out, is there anything I should have done while it's out? Like rear main seal or stuff like that?

Now for the actual job of replacing the clutch, I don't think I have the space/knowledge/time to do the job. So I was hoping that you guys would have some recommendations of shops that are fair/reasonable. I'm leaning towards using Strictly BMW, since I've worked with them in the past.

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

A Sachs oem clutch is perfectly fine for a autox/tracking a stock or nearly stock motor. If its a high compression or forced induction motor you'll want something stronger. The purpose of running a clutch like that on a unmodified motor is quicker engagements during shifting, which for autox can save time.

Likely the issue you're having getting into gear is worn shifter bushings. While the trans is out for clutch replacement, have all of the shifter bushings replaced.

Rear main seal, trans input, trans output and selector rod seals are the only seals you'd potentially need/want replaced when the trans is out.

Strictly BMW is very good, a few other good BMW shops in the area include: West Werks, Car Tender, South Lake European, and Eastside Bavarian.
    m106 1990 e30
    e36 daily
    e32 cruiser

Comment

Good advice there but theres also the possibility that the synchros are worn in which case a good used swap is more practical than a rebuild
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

We race the Sachs parts, they do ok, mostly.

Rebuilt transmissions don't seem to be holding up, not so sure why...

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

A Stage 4 clutch would be pretty brutal on the street. A reasonable compromise for a mixed duty car that is better than OEM setup would be a Stage 1 clutch.

As to transmission rebuilds, it really depends on who does the job. DriveGear is known for quality rebuilds in the Spec E30 world.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thank you everyone for the replies! I think I might go ahead with the Sachs clutch, so I don't have any trouble with the hills here.

Thanks for the tip about the Shifter Bearing, I have a feeling that'll fix most of my problem shifting as there is no grinding. (Also I'm sure it'll save me a good bit of money. instead of buying a trans!)

-Steve

Comment

Working...
            X