Very unusual problem. Please help soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very unusual problem. Please help soon

Hey guys. My e30 stalled out hard. In a fashion I have never felt before. Essentially what happened, car starts to sputter. Eventually dies out. Tried the clutch and nothing happened, almost felt like it didn't grab. The RPM gauge dropped about 500 rpm and would jump relatively sporadic, during this. Eventually got it pulled to a friends house. Who is an aviation and car mechanic. Lucky me.

Replaced FPR with a new unit as fuel return was bone dry, assumed I flooded it.
    Within the last two months a lot of parts have been replaced.
    Bosch TPS.
    Bosch o2
    Bremi Distributor
    Bremi rotor
    Karlyn (still Bremi) plug wires.
    Bosch fuel filter.
    Walboro 255lph

I've always kept the rockers/valves within spec.

Now the weird issue. I pulled the fuel line from the rail and there was nothing. Cranked it while hose was off (we all can live dangerously once in a while) and nothing. Tried a brand new relay and still nothing. No gas from the lines. Pulled the hose from the pump and blew through the end at the FPR, I was able to blow the gas out of the line. I connected all hoses back to FPR. Then I jumped the pump, heard it. So what gives here guys???

DME or main relay? I'm open to any ideas.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

What motor? Possibly crank position sensor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

M20B25. Is there any other way to check it other than waving a screw driver or some metal piece? I'm assuming that's the only way as its induction based, right?
      20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

I second the CPS diagnosis.

If jumping the relay powers the pump up then that pretty much eliminates anything downstream of the relay to the pump. You can double check this by testing for 12v at fuse 11 and the pump while cranking the engine. If you aren't getting 12v then either the relay is dead (which you've already replaced) or the DME isn't switching the relay on.

The DME needs a signal from the CPS while the engine is rotating to switch on both the fuel pump relay and the ignition system, so you can double check for spark at the plugs. If you have no spark then either the CPS or DME are faulty.

CPS test procedures are here:

Comment

Originally posted by Seawolf View Post
          I second the CPS diagnosis.

If jumping the relay powers the pump up then that pretty much eliminates anything downstream of the relay to the pump. You can double check this by testing for 12v at fuse 11 and the pump while cranking the engine. If you aren't getting 12v then either the relay is dead (which you've already replaced) or the DME isn't switching the relay on.

The DME needs a signal from the CPS while the engine is rotating to switch on both the fuel pump relay and the ignition system, so you can double check for spark at the plugs. If you have no spark then either the CPS or DME are faulty.

CPS test procedures are here:

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/i...osition_Sensor
          Thank you sir for the diagnostics info! Will check this when I leave work early today. Will post back.
          20% Accurate

Comment

Verify you have gas in the tank. If your fuel gauge float in the tank is stuck it might say you have 1/3 of a tank...on the edge of an off ramp...in the dark...with no shoulder...on a blind curve...with semi-trucks right behind you...and everything else may work just fine. Or if your fuel pump is dying it may work if you hit it directly with 12 volts but not through the proper relay and fuse circuitry.

Comment

jumping the fuel pump relay should shoot fuel out of the hose regardless of CPS functionality

Comment

Car now has fuel and spark. I was able to have it running for quite a few minutes yesterday and it just died. Left it to idle and it died.

I pulled the pump, plenty of fuel in the tank. Rewired it and check the hosing on the pump. I checked the CPS at connector and DME. With two multimeters, that I believe are a little off. The Wavetech showed 900 +/-100. I wanted to check it today but couldn't find a perfect multimeter. I decided to order the CPS, Vemo over Facet? I typically don't use generic unless it's an emergency.

I used a generic intermotor brand FPR? But it is able to run and without any input and die several minutes later.

Main relay is also showing voltage at DME.

Not sure how intermittent these guys can be with readings.

.I don't english with high levels of stress. Patience is key though.
                20% Accurate

Comment

swap main relay with less important relay

cps is a little out of spec but not too bad. Did you test it warm or cold? in some cases the heat can render a metal or magnet out of spec
                  Last edited by squidmaster; 07-18-2017, 06:44 AM. Reason: magnetic = magnet*

Comment

Which relay could I use? The pattern shows the diode running to both 87s (I think?) unlike the fuel injector relay. 4 vs 5 post too. Unless one of the K relays match?

Ambient temperature is about 80s-90s. Plus the temperature increases that can result from multiple cranks.

I installed brand new plugs as well today as well.
                    20% Accurate

Comment

Also, only code I get is 1444.... Sadly.
                      20% Accurate

Comment

nope you're right, main relay has an extra pole. pop it open and clean it or snag a new one if it's cutting off power to your ECU after a few moments

Comment

The relay is showing voltage to ECU during no start conditions. I believe it is fine, I will clean it just in case.

I will check to make sure the cam has rotation tonight and double check my c191 connector.

Any idea what the injector banks would read at DME?
                          20% Accurate

Comment

Sorry I must have misread, I thought you said there was no voltage to ECU from main relay

You'd need an oscilloscope to check injector drivers properly

Sent from my Robin using Tapatalk

Comment

The oil has no smell of gas, still not ruling injectors. I swapped unloader relays with fog/horn. Checked the c191 and it's clean. Checked grounds as well. Timing belt is on as well.

Highly stumped....
                              20% Accurate

Comment

Working...
                              X