No announcement yet.

Used engine retailer recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone tell me how wrong I am...or don't....

But really the most important part of any BMW I6 motor is the head. You can open up a 300k BMW motor, and still see the factory cylinder 45 degree honing on the cyclinder walls.
    I have seem guys with older motors with some piston slap, so they knerl the pistons and re-set them.

If you're looking for a long block with everything attached, well....they pop up ever once in awhile with low rebuilt miles.

The other option is a swap. But if I wanted to stick with a m20, and I wanted a good motor, I'd get a head from someone like Mr325 at Bimmerheads. It's going to cost something, but again, it's all about the head (and oil pump - RNR that too - cheap to do! Make sure it good!)
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

But really the most important part of any BMW I6 motor is the head. You can open up a 300k BMW motor, and still see the factory cylinder 45 degree honing on the cyclinder walls.
      I have seem guys with older motors with some piston slap, so they knerl the pistons and re-set them.

If you're looking for a long block with everything attached, well....they pop up ever once in awhile with low rebuilt miles.

The other option is a swap. But if I wanted to stick with a m20, and I wanted a good motor, I'd get a head from someone like Mr325 at Bimmerheads. It's going to cost something, but again, it's all about the head (and oil pump - RNR that too - cheap to do! Make sure it good!)
      They are all good options but not everyone can afford a bimmerheads head plus plus plus. I think this topic is more about a practical and affordable way get your car up and running after a blown motor.

I do agree that most motors absent serious damage can be revived with some head work and all the usual replacements and that that's a far better option than a questionable used engine. The upgrade path is a whole other conversation IMO
      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
      Alice the Time Capsule
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

Yes, the head is where the power comes from. The rotating assembly is just a mechanical set of levers.

Perhaps an m20 10 years go was in excellent condition, but I have had several come through the shop lately that have severe ridges at the top of the block bores. ALWAYS do a leak-down prior to pulling the head.

In fact, I have almost dozen cracked 885 heads sitting on the shelf from HG jobbers over the years (two locals bought cracked used heads on the internats :/), so a coolant pressure test prior to removal is standard procedure before I even drain a drop of coolant. 885 heads crack down the cam valley, usually around cyl #5. I plan on creating a repair procedure (possibly preventative) that doesn't involve a lot of heat straightening from heavy welding.

Never knurl. That's a band-aid that maybe lasted back in he day when cars didn't see much more than 40mph on a regular basis. BMW has a very tight piston to wall clearance (on all models) compared to typical engine "standards". The m20 starts out at .02mm on a diameter (that's .01mm per side!) piston to wall clearance.

Now that the thought is rolling, not sure the last time I actually witnessed knurling, even for valve guides.

Modern equipment, carbide blade technology, and digital speed makes hand knurl/ream seem like rubbing sticks together to start a fire when you have a Bic lighter in your pocket.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
        X