88' 325i Blown Head Gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88' 325i Blown Head Gasket

So last week on the way home from work I blew the head gasket. Was on the freeway, wasn't sure what was happening until I was able to exit and park the car. Temp gage was just getting into red when I shut off the car.

How f****d am I?

A little back story. This was a project car that I only drive on sunny or dry days (a rarity in western WA). I've replaced damn near everything (and I mean everything that can or eventually will wear out). I did a BimmerHeads swap three years ago. Less than 5k miles since then. Two years ago I overheated (again, turned off car as temp gage entered red), so I think this may have compromised the gasket.

Besides a new gasket, bolts and having the head machined, what else am I going to need to do to fix this?

Thanks guys.

You give very little data in your post. How are you coming to the conclusion that you blew a head gasket? Oil/coolant mixing? Pressurizing coolant system? Coolant in cylinders? these cars can overheat and not immediately blow a HG.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Pretty sure it's the head gasket as when I pulled over there was smoke (not steam), and oil visibly coming from where the head and block meet on the exhaust manifold side. Had the car towed home. Based on the leak on garage floor, looks like oil and coolant are mixing.

Comment

A new gasket, bolts and head machined is likely all you'll need. Depending on how much the oil and coolant mixed, you also might have a bit of milkshake to clean out from the passages.

Sounds like you are tired of this happening, so I would suggest getting a coolant pressure tester, as well as consider running waterless coolant.

Waterless coolant doesn't build pressure and therefore is much less likely to cause a hose blowout.
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Well, this is the first time I've blown a head gasket on any vehicle and yes, don't want it to happen again! Thanks for the coolant pressure tester tip.

How difficult do you think it will be to clean the milkshake? Any methods to recommend?

What about the radiator and various sensors? These are all new/low mile. Are they toast or can they be cleaned up?

Comment

Do your timing belt, tensioner, and water pump while you have the head off. New exhaust and intake gaskets as well.

'08 E90 328i Sport '04 E53 3.0 '02 E46 325i Sport '91 E30 325ic M-Technic

Comment

Why did the head overheat 2 years ago?
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Think I may have had air in the cooling system. I bled it (again), and never had an overheating issue again - until the head gasket blew.

Comment

Originally posted by drzhivago1965 View Post
                  Think I may have had air in the cooling system. I bled it (again), and never had an overheating issue again - until the head gasket blew.
                  I would check that the thermostat is functioning like it should as well. I’m guessing your water pump may have failed. Bottom line, you need to find out why your car overheated to properly fix it.

Comment

All Great advice. Thanks.

What's the likelihood I permanently (cracked), the head or burned the rings or something?

Comment

There is only one way to no for sure. take the head to get checked and cleaned before you put it back on again. and the head MUST be flat before you put it on. either it is within tolerance or it needs to be shaved.

the internet treats the head gasket like this big scary thing. You can have the head off in about 2hrs. The thing is, you need to know WHY the gasket blew. The gasket is like a fuse. Something is not playing nice for it to blow.

Comment

Working...
                      X