Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to refresh and upgrade the M20. Looking for feedback on both.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if the DEC mounting location is correct for an automatic car?

Comment

Check the part number for the cat section on realoem for auto vs manual, if they're the same there's your answer. The bracket required serious twisting to fit btw, you can see how its off in my pics. No welding, just twisting.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Ordered myself a DEC tonight as well taking advantage of a 15% off eBay offer. I have a new cat back to install, will be following your lead.

My thinking is to remove the manifold bolts first (I want to do the heat shield gasket there) and then drop the whole system to do the manifold to cat bolts off the car. Would this be easier?

Comment

I haven't don't it that way but doubt its easier. Double the bolts on the manifold.

Comment

Took care of powdercoating the valve cover in advance of my engine removal.

Used this wrinkle texture epoxy and happy with how it looks - photo makes it look flat but in fact it has subtle alum like texture.

SILVER WRINKLE, product ID EWB-9117. Prismatic Powders offers more than 6,500 powder coating colors, equipment, and apparel all available all with fast direct shipping.
            Attached Files

Comment

How exactly have you all gone about hooking up the rear chain of a load leveler to the hard-to-reach bracket at the rear of the motor? Did you remove any parts in order to access it and what type of hardware did you use?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4853.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7201268

Comment

Yeah, that was fiddly to get too.

I used a nut/bolt with a washer big enough for the chain loop.
                Bolt had to be just the right size. To long and it wouldn't fit in the gap, to short it would catch the threads.

No parts removed for access.
                1991 318iC
                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Thank you more than anything it helps just to know that it is possible. How is your project coming

Comment

Work has resumed. Starting to reassemble.
                    1991 318iC
                    1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Getting into it. Do you pull the grommet out of the firewall or yank the motronic wire and big plastic connecter thru?

Name:	IMG_5040.jpg
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	7201312

Name:	IMG_5046.jpg
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	7201313

Comment

Answer: yes pull the grommet thru.

The motor seems to want to pivot/rub at the firewall. This is my first time using a load leveler. Any tips here?

Name:	IMG_5109.jpg
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	7201317

Comment

Can you roll toward core support?
                          1991 318iC
                          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Good luck with the rebuild!

I've rebuilt a few M20s with my Dad & we've always just bought Elring VRS and bottom end kits and haven't ever had a problem? Has their quality dropped or something (seems people like more 'exotic' options these days - they always used to be the go-to brand)?
                            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

How do you mean? I can't move the motor fore/aft because its not clear of the motor mounts.

Bentley has me remove the nuts on the bottom of the rubber motor mounts only. I suppose I could remove the connection to the motor as well.

I'm having the same issue these guys clearly are and wondering if the chain to the rear pick point isn't way too short... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUCA83se5eE

Comment

Sorry, didn't realize you weren't clear of the mounts. I didn't pull the mounts from the block, just the nuts off the subframe.

My chain was shorter than yours in the back the leveler was tight on the block.
                                I think you're going to need to tighten up the chain. I had my lift at max height to clear the core support. I still had to help the trans clear the core support.

It was a bitch to get out with the trans on. I was fighting either hitting the firewall or core support as I pulled it up and out.

I'm debating either installing without the trans or pulling the subframe and going in from the bottom.

Here was my set up. A longer chain in back would have given me a bit more angle. You can see the hoist is about maxed out. I had to pull the rollers from under the tires to get some more clearance for the core support.

1991 318iC
                                1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Working...
                                X