Yet another request for advice on a stroker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rs4pro3 View Post
    does the e46 m3, have some sort of accumulation manifold for all the vacuum hoses coming from each cylinder? My friend has an e46m3 and his only complaint it the idle hunts all over the place. He's taken it in many times, but it won't throw a code so they won't touch it. I think it's just the throttles out a sync a little.
    Yes, a vacuum pipe is connected to each throttle body after the throttle plate.

The black "thing" is the injector and the other pipe collects vacuum

Here you see two connections that come off the main vacuum collector pipe. There is one more at the back which I think goes to the brake booster.

On my M3 CSL I find that the engine hunts during idle only when the air condition is switched on. I don't remember if that was also the case with my M3.

Comment

Thanks
      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Some phase 1, ITB’s, progress shots.
        Still need to be transitioned and made all purdy-like, but I’m reasonably pleased so far.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin View Post
          Some phase 1, ITB’s, progress shots.
          Still need to be transitioned and made all purdy-like, but I’m reasonably pleased so far.
          Nice work Gavin. I assume that you are going to leave the injectors in their stock position.

I thought about doing this on mine but thought if I could angle the airflow to hit the valve straight, that it would be better for power and the stock manifold comes in at virtually 90deg to the valve which means a substantial slowing down of airflow.

But hey, at least you are nearly finished and I am still nowhere.

Comment

Nice work Gavin. I assume that you are going to leave the injectors in their stock position.
            I’d still like to utilize a second set of up-stream injectors to take over a portion of fuel delivery at high RPM, if I can. I have the GSXR injectors that came from my throttle bodies just sitting around now, so I may be able to use those in their original locations with a custom fuel rail.

My problem is with the engine management, I don’t really want to have to cover the expense of a standalone. The $$ I would have to invest in a Haltech, AEM, or alike, to run 12 phased injectors could go a long way towards completing the actual ‘stroker’ portion of my build up.

I realize I have to pay to play but I am trying to work within a modest budget for this project so I have to position my spending as to realize the most reward. On the other hand I cant see myself just plugging up perfectly good injector bungs so I imagine I will likely wind up installing all the hardware I need to run a second set of injectors now, and just leaving them dead in the engine bay until I can afford appropriate fuel management accompaniments.

Comment

Hi Gavin,

I don't believe using a second set of injectors is going to make a big difference, it is more like some icing on the cake. If your budget is a bit tight, I agree with you fully, invest in the stroker components first, at least there you will get big power benefits.

Comment

I’ve just about finished my ITB set up (aside from picking up the APEXi Neo to tackle the AFM to MAP swap). I decided to install all 12 of the injectors discussed previously, and just leave the upstream set of 6 deactivated for the time-being; until I can afford an appropriate management system.

I had an idea though regarding my second set of injectors I’d like to run by the board for comments: What if I simply ran a series of relays to activate the upstream injectors as each corresponding stock location injector fires? It would be admittedly crude but may offer me some of the benefits to be had in using the alternate injectors, until I can realize their full potential somewhere down the road with a Haltech or AEM?

Any thoughts?

Comment

i have a neo in my room care to explain more on the afm to map conversion?

Comment

i have a neo in my room care to explain more on the afm to map conversion?
                    I’m not sure whether or not it has been successfully done before in an E30, but: the idea is to use the NEO to modify the voltage output of a 0 – 5v MAP sensor (or potentially a TPS sensor) to overlap (as well as is possible) the original 0 – 5v AFM voltage output vs. RPM profile. In doing so one could potentially eliminate the restrictive AFM system & tune fuel, as upgrades are incorporated, with the NEO.

But let’s not go of topic and head into an AFM swap discussion, when I do it I’ll start a separate thread to discuss that subject. I wouldn’t advise anyone to try this yet though anyway, just sell me your NEO for pennies and let me have all the glory;-)

Comment

Wow, having a baby has utterly obliterated my garage time, I’ve just now assembled everything I need to complete phase 1 (Individual Throttle Bodies) of my eventual M20 stroker project (save for purchasing an appropriate MAP sensor) this project has been forever in the making, but it feels good to be moving forward again.

I have a few questions regarding the MAP sensor swap portion of my project I’m hoping the forum can help me with:

1. The plug terminal that connects my wiring harness to my AFM box has 4 leads: I’m assuming that one is ground, one is 5V reference signal, one is AFM return signal, and the last air temp return signal. Can anyone please confirm this for me and possibly tell me which is which?

2. If anyone can recommend a good 0 – 5V normal atmospheric pressure MAP sensor (i.e. no boost) I’m looking for suggestions? I was thinking about a Ford AS1 MAP sensor just because they are readily available and intended for engines of similar displacement??

As always any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

yep you are correct about the plug.
                        Gray/Yellow wire is the airflow input to the ECU
                        Gray/Violet is the air temp
                        Gray/White is the 5 volt
                        Gray is ground
                        (wire colors may vary from your model)
                        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Working...
                        X