No announcement yet.

how much power from 2.9 stroker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont get why a smooth idle is good for a DD ? I can understand emissions, but thats the only reason I can come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
      I dont get why a smooth idle is good for a DD ? I can understand emissions, but thats the only reason I can come up with.
      Cams cause a "lumpy" idle. It's rough and it's not a problem at all once the car is warm (engine up to full operating temp) - - - BUT - - - when it's cold outside or if you live in new england (like me in Boston) a lumpy or non smooth idle is a major PITA in the winter. It's like having an old carbureted car without a choke in the winter. You have to keep your foot on the gas to keep the idle up so the motor doesn't stall until it's warm. It makes it a little harder to just get in and drive the car whenever.... only a minor issue but still a big issue because drivability goes down a bunch IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SA E30 View Post
        I hope u not coming to pick on me :P

but, I would like to see what a 2.9lt with similar specs to what your 3.1lt would do compared to the 3.1 ... only time will tell :D
        I will pick on every single NA E30 that I can find and hopefully even some turbo guys. I will especially look for your Budler built 2.9 liter :)

Are you hinting at an all-out 2.9 NA M20 for your track car ? With throttle bodies - will be interesting to see how you solve the problems involved with that setup.

Comment

3.6 liter M30 strokers can make ~90hp/liter if they are built pretty hot. You'd have to have megasquirt or at least tripple carbs (or a cool ITB setup) to achieve 100hp/liter from an M20 or M30 I bet.

I recall seeing one 3.6 liter M30 running 11:1 compression, very kick ass headers, tripple Weber 45 DCOEs and like a 300 degree cam making about 330rwhp.
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Originally posted by Andreas View Post
            I will pick on every single NA E30 that I can find and hopefully even some turbo guys. I will especially look for your Budler built 2.9 liter :)

Are you hinting at an all-out 2.9 NA M20 for your track car ? With throttle bodies - will be interesting to see how you solve the problems involved with that setup.
            What problems? Do you mean the brake booster & fittment issues of the ITB's? I'd love to build a 3.0L motor but dont know where to get the crank from.

Do you guys have a source for billet cranks?

Comment

Originally posted by euroshark View Post
              I recall seeing one 3.6 liter M30 running 11:1 compression, very kick ass headers, tripple Weber 45 DCOEs and like a 300 degree cam making about 330rwhp.
              That is awesome. It must have sounded absolutely wicked. Was that engine in an E30 ?

Comment

Originally posted by winstontj View Post
                What problems? Do you mean the brake booster & fittment issues of the ITB's? I'd love to build a 3.0L motor but dont know where to get the crank from.

If you want to retain the brake booster, then ITBs will create some work for. Maybe you can leave the brake booster where it is if you angle the TBs up quite high and compromise the shape of your airbox. However, most likely you will have to move it. Your new handmade manifold must also provide a vacuum to the booster.

Another option would be to convert to hydraulic brakes like on the very old 7 series BMWs. You'd have to make up some brackets (similar to power steering) to mount the pump.

Another option, and the one that I am using, is to install competition brake master cylinders that do not need a brake booster. Supposedly they give you much better feedback when you apply brakes. Tilton and AP Racing are two companies where you can obtain this.

Although I haven't confirmed it yet, the thermostat housing may be a bit difficult to work around. It depends on your design I suppose. Most guys build the manifold to let the air come to the head at 90 degrees. I prefer to mount the ITBs so that air goes straight into the port - about 30 deg.

When building your own manifold, also consider the oil return from cylinder head to bottom of the block.

328i cranks can be found used without too much difficulty. I bought a forged steel one for R6,500 (incl. machining work for front pulley). The 330i cranks are very difficult to obtain and I bought mine at the BMW dealer brand new for R11,500 (E46 330i with 89.6mm stroke ; the E90 330i crank has less stroke and the chain sprocket is mounted elsewhere - don't buy this one).

Comment

my Dbilas ITB's don't have any fitment problems with the brake booster.
                  seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

My manifold is made up of the first few inches of the stock manifold so it still has the oil return thingy.
                    You guys are lucky you don't have vacuum dependant distributors.

Comment

Standalone

Originally posted by Hadrian View Post
                      My manifold is made up of the first few inches of the stock manifold so it still has the oil return thingy.
                      You guys are lucky you don't have vacuum dependant distributors.
                      If you are going to run a car like that (an m20 with ITB's etc.) than you'll be able to make much better power running a standalone system and chucking the stock motronic in the garbage. Something like MegaSquirt is perfect and has a provision to control spark... so just run distributorless ignition.... For example EDIS-6 (wasted spark) and totally delete the cap & rotor... run whatever cam you want, clean up the engine bay by putting the coil & wires under the dash... yada yada....

IMO you can't really make decent power unless you run standalone. Once you start adding cam, bumping CR up and adding other high perf. mods you really need standalone to get the power up close to 100hp/liter

Comment

I have an E21. It comes with CIS, not EFI. The manifold is made up of part of an E30 323i manifold which has L-jetronic, not Motronic. I will be using Dellorto carburettors (better than Webber DCOE IMO).
                        I'll be using the standard E21 323i distributor which uses vacuum ot controll advance and retard.

Comment

IMO you can't really make decent power unless you run standalone. Once you start adding cam, bumping CR up and adding other high perf. mods you really need standalone to get the power up close to 100hp/liter

Depends what you mean by decent but given that you won't get 100hp/L from a NA M20 unless its a M20B20 (i.e. small displacment but with the same head that a 2.7L-3.1L stroker uses) i would disagree about standalone. For NA full standalone is not a must, a 3L can make >200whp using a plug in chip for motronic, AFM, standard intake manifold and standard airbox (obviously more possible) and i would say that 200whp is more than decent when on road performance is looked at.
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Working...
                          X