question about pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about pistons

a friend of mine is rebuilding his motor. He found out that he need to bore a little bit the block so he want pistons with more compression. The other parts in the engine are still stock. The pistons are going to be .20 more bigger. He was thinking 10.5 to 1 compression. The question, Is this is to much or its ok for the engine?
    sigpic
    BMW 325IS 1987
    www.eurocrewpr.com

it'll be fine, but you'll have to run premium fuel, and it's best to retune the timing and fuel maps. if you want to be a bit more conservative, go with straight 10:1
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

10.5:1 will require more than premium.

I've built many M20s with varying compression and found that 9.0 is the highest you can go with 91 octane gas.

92 allows you to dip into the low 9s, depending on cam choice. Anything much over 9.6-9.7 will require gas in the mid to high 90s. 10.5 will need very high ocatane fuel.
      Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

I'm running 10:1 on 92 octane with no problems? using an aftermarket chip with more timing advance too..
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My euro M30 is 9.3:1 compression stock, and a bit more now. It runs great on regular or plus.
          '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

he got a jim comforti chip and he always use premiun
            and he is going to stick with the i cam
            Last edited by Juanka; 04-04-2007, 06:49 AM.
            sigpic
            BMW 325IS 1987
            www.eurocrewpr.com

Comment

How much Power you can get with 10.0=1 compression?

Comment

The cam you use has as much influnce on knock as the static compression so what cam are you going to run? The static compression does influence whether it will knock but a bigger cam duration will allow more compression without knock because the dynamic compression is typically lower. Using a standard cam on high compression engine is asking for trouble.
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  I'm running 10:1 on 92 octane with no problems? using an aftermarket chip with more timing advance too..
                  You must have WAAAYY better gas up there than we do in CA, 10:1 with a chip on pump gas would be a death wish here. Beware of carbon build up raising your compression over time...
                  Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                    The cam you use has as much influnce on knock as the static compression so what cam are you going to run? The static compression does influence whether it will knock but a bigger cam duration will allow more compression without knock because the dynamic compression is typically lower. Using a standard cam on high compression engine is asking for trouble.
                    Yup. There is a good article about this on E30M3Performance.com
                    Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS View Post
                      You must have WAAAYY better gas up there than we do in CA, 10:1 with a chip on pump gas would be a death wish here. Beware of carbon build up raising your compression over time...
                      I don't know. it's possible, but it seems unlikely. maybe the MM pistons really are designed better than standard generic forged pistons..

5000 miles so far and no knocking issues. I will tune it eventually though.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have the stock cam, we have 93 octane here in P.R., just want to know if I can use JE 10.0=1 compression pistons without problems.

Comment

If you aren't going to get a proper custom tune then i would not go over 10:1static CR
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Doesn't the m42 have a 10:1 CR and no knock sensors...

~Zar4

Comment

Originally posted by swimstarguy View Post
                              Doesn't the m42 have a 10:1 CR and no knock sensors...

~Zar4
                              The shape of the combustion chamber has a huge effect on detonation characteristics. S14s came with 10.5, and I've built them up to 11:1 for pump gas with no problems. Hell, even M20 eta motors have 10.something compression with that little bitch ass cam. It's just the shape of the combustion chamber on the i motors that makes them pre-disposed to pinging at higher compressions.
                              Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X