A few 2.7 i questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few 2.7 i questions

Can you use the 'e' rods (with custom pistons, of course), or just the 'i' rods when building this motor? Also, does a 283/283 cam require performance valve springs or would the normal 'i' springs be fine up to 7000rpm?

I used 'e' rods and custom pistons, so from first hand experience, I say yes you can. A 283/283 cam can be used with stock springs, if they're new. I wouldn't try to use them with 15+ year old springs.
    This is your M20 on steroids:

Comment

-BUT I would suggest useing longer (135mm vs 130) "i" rods. Better revability, better with the cam too.
      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

In my build, im going to be using an e crank, with i rods. with custom pistons, and schrick 284 cam, schrick valves, and schrick springs

Comment

284 is the highest duration you can run on stock springs (according to schrick)

but upgraded springs are certainly reccomended. Personally, I'm using new stock springs with a schrick 284/272 and it runs fine. I'm not sure if schrick springs would make any difference in power or not.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Lol, springs will definitely not make a difference in power, unless the m20 can make more power at higher rpms

Comment

I meant if it was floating the valves, that HD springs would help. But I really don't know if it is or not.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

new stock springs should be good to 6500 continuously, anything above that, and i would want something stronger. which is why i got the schrick springs. im thinking maybe 7500 rpm?

Comment

my motor runs out of breath by 6500, so yeah. not much point in me going higher than that.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Deagle View Post
                    new stock springs should be good to 6500 continuously, anything above that, and i would want something stronger. which is why i got the schrick springs. im thinking maybe 7500 rpm?
                    So no 7000rpm on new stock springs?

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                      So no 7000rpm on new stock springs?
                      you can probably get away with it, but it doesn't matter. you aren't going to make any useable power up there, so there's no reason to rev that high anyway.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

ummm, if you race that's pretty useable, when you can avoid a shift mid corner.
                        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                        e30 restoration and V8 swap
                        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

sure. but trying to rev to 7k in the hope of making more power isn't worth thinking about, unless you spend a lot of time on headwork..
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

good to know.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              sure. but trying to rev to 7k in the hope of making more power isn't worth thinking about, unless you spend a lot of time on headwork..

Or a proper cam, that has the profile designed for high rpm use

Comment

Working...
                              X