Question for 3.0l stroker guys...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for 3.0l stroker guys...

Has anyone experienced a fitment issue with using a single-mass flywheel (standard size from the m20b25) with the s50 crankshaft?

The problem I'm experiencing is that the flywheel and starter gears are not meshing, and therefore cannot turn the motor over. The flywheel is the 8lb JB Racing model # 520-060-228

Things that have been done so far...

1. Tried installing a new starter...no change
    2. Double checked part number on the flywheel...it's correct
    3. Had a local shop pull the transmission off for me to check things out (I needed a break) and was told that the flywheel appears to be sitting too far away from the backside of the block...so the starter gear is not making contact. Don't know how this is possible. The flywheel is installed as required by JB and I've never heard of anyone having this problem before. I have not seen this with my own eyes yet and probably won't be able to until Monday (and pics).

Pics from the install...

Those of you that have built a 3.0l stroker...what flywheel/clutch setup are you using? Not really looking for speculations here...mostly just what parts you're using.
    - Jason

there is a little spacer thing that goes between the flywheel and the crank. did you use that? maybe add another? I've never heard of anyone having problems with the flywheel on a stroker before.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

#10 is a tq spreader plate, it goes between the mounting bolts and the flywheel.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

OT: Nice clutch setup, I've got the exact setup, down to the flywheel. I've even got the same crank, but it's all in an M50. Let me know how you like the clutch setup since I, more than likely, will not be able to try it out until mid to late January, all things going in my favor.
        My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
        There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Just posting back to close the issue out. Turns out I was missing the dowel pins between the bottom of the block and the transmission. Very stupid brainfart on my part...just didn't realize they weren't there when I reassembled everything.

The motor fired right up after that.
          - Jason

Comment

Will you dyno it?
            '89 325i track sloot
            '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

Of course. But not before I break the motor in for about 1500 miles. Once I hit that mark, I'm going to take it in and get it dyno tuned and see just what kind of power it's putting out.

Here's a little teaser from tonight...
              Finally got the car running tonight. I spent an hour or two just tweaking the fuel maps in order to get the car to idle right. The idle is still pretty lumpy...
              - Jason

Comment

sounds good. what are you going to use for engine management?
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

seriously though it looks like you forgot #10 from nando's post before

also i have the same clutch setup (depending on what stage you went with) stage 3 is the one i have, i love it, driving a "regular" clutch now makes me angry weak engagement and such. enjoy
                  Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                  Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Mine is also a Stage 3. I haven't experienced the full grabbing power of it yet and won't really be trying for it until I get the clutch broken in. I don't want to end up glazing the disc.

The engine management planned is a standalone MegaSquirt system. I just don't plan on swapping it in until the motor is solid. I want to make sure the first 1500 miles goes without issue, then add the next big piece.
                    - Jason

Comment

Working...
                    X