Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so let me get this straight, the only sensors that NEED to be switched are the temp sensors and crank position sensor? The rest are the same?
    -Alex

Comment

use the "e" coolant/temp sensor. the 2 back one off of t-stat, coolant (blue) will have 2 prongs and temp has 1 prong (brown)

you will also need to get the 89+ "i" oil level sensor (on top of oil pan) different connector.

on the purge canister, there is also a connector on there too, but you can leave it unplug, i pnp mine so i can feel confidence with all the electrical.

Comment

Hi
        so I just did my swap and I am hoping to get some advice or help to point me in the right direction.
        I am using a seta block with a i head. All I know about the block is that it is a 88. Also the head is running dual valve springs. The motor is in a 84/85. I used a harness out of a 89. Only reason I did was because it was free from a friends car. I also read on strictly eta that the harness shouldn't matter. So the problem I have encountered is that i am not getting any power. I connected the square body harness to the round c101. So one of the main relays is clicking when I try to start the car and everything is hooked up properly. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be greatl appreciated.
        sigpic-Thanks warren

Comment

If everything is connected properly like you say, then low battery power might be to blame. Otherwise, something probably isn't connected correctly. Start by checking your motor ground strap. I had the same thing you're describing happen to me (everything connected, hit the starter and nothing) and it was the ground strap.
          sigpic

Comment

Okay so i have been testing power to everything. The dme, the relays, the starter, the alternator, the power junction box, the fuse box. I found that pin 37 isn't getting power. Also the middle relay I'm not exactly sure which one it is but the point 88 is not getting power. The other two have power on 86 and 88 while key is on. Also I cant seem to figure out how to solve the problem that pin 37 doesn't have power I have been searching and haven't found a definite answer. Also the dme is also getting all grounds that it should at all the points. Also the two plugs that come right off the the dme harness, white and black plug I dont have any where to plug them into on my 85..
            If any one has any other advice that would help. I need to get this running its sitting in my friends garage taking up his only place to park.
            If some one local to Lake Forest that knows how to solve this wiring gremlin I am willing to pay 150$ want my car running for dockweiler.
            Thanks
            sigpic-Thanks warren

Comment

Originally posted by 10-66kruk View Post
              Okay so i have been testing power to everything. The dme, the relays, the starter, the alternator, the power junction box, the fuse box. I found that pin 37 isn't getting power. Also the middle relay I'm not exactly sure which one it is but the point 88 is not getting power. The other two have power on 86 and 88 while key is on. Also I cant seem to figure out how to solve the problem that pin 37 doesn't have power I have been searching and haven't found a definite answer. Also the dme is also getting all grounds that it should at all the points. Also the two plugs that come right off the the dme harness, white and black plug I dont have any where to plug them into on my 85..
              If any one has any other advice that would help. I need to get this running its sitting in my friends garage taking up his only place to park.
              If some one local to Lake Forest that knows how to solve this wiring gremlin I am willing to pay 150$ want my car running for dockweiler.
              Thanks

is this for the early model convertible at richards shop?

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

no its not actually but i do know richard, i haven't wanted to go ask him for help....
                sigpic-Thanks warren

Comment

your problem may be the c104 connector that has a green/black/white wire connecting to it.

Do you still have your old harness? It is the 3 pin connector closest to the dme connector. That will plug into another connector on the body side. I think the green is your power.

Since the 90 engine harness doesn't have that plug on it, you need to connect those wires to the engine harness somehow. When I did the swap I used an 87 harness which has that plug, so I just plugged it in. No big deal. I'm not sure what the process is in getting the wires into the c104 connector to a 88+ harness, but do a search on c104.

Comment

Originally posted by hotballs View Post
                    your problem may be the c104 connector that has a green/black/white wire connecting to it.

Do you still have your old harness? It is the 3 pin connector closest to the dme connector. That will plug into another connector on the body side. I think the green is your power.

Since the 90 engine harness doesn't have that plug on it, you need to connect those wires to the engine harness somehow. When I did the swap I used an 87 harness which has that plug, so I just plugged it in. No big deal. I'm not sure what the process is in getting the wires into the c104 connector to a 88+ harness, but do a search on c104.
                    okay excellent i will try this.
                    cause there is a little plug that is just sitting by the firewall with nowhere to go.
                    what if i used a 89 harness? cause a friend just told me he had one.
                    so you think this will solve the issue with pin 37 on dme not getting power? Because the rest of the pins that are suppose to have power do..
                    Thanks hotballs i appreciate your feedback.
                    sigpic-Thanks warren

Comment

yeah that should be your problem. Happened to me, plugged that in and it started right up. The harness' after 87 don't have that plug, so the 89 won't be any different. Use your 90 harness that is in there and search for where exactly to connect that wire from the 3 pin body side harness. Like I said, I only had to plug it in.

Comment

okay so i found the mentioned plug on my old harness and plugged it into the connector right inside the car by the dme. i connect a wire to the green plug and jumped it to the missing voltage on the main relay. my dme at pin 37 now has power.... though the car will not start because the black and white wires are not hooked up.
                        I'm running out of time with this.
                        Im willing to pay some one 150-200$ if the seriously know what they are doing and can get this thing running.
                        please someone has to know e30 wiring in oc area....
                        sigpic-Thanks warren

Comment

About to embark on this before long ( with any luck.) what have people been doing "while you're in there?" Gasket kit, machining head.. or have people been doing ghetto strokers in typical r3v fashion... lol
                          Last edited by Stephen; 11-12-2010, 06:18 PM.

Comment

...? Did I just get flamed?
                            sigpic-Thanks warren

Comment

no?

Comment

ohhh okay I guess I quite didn't understand your post.
                                sigpic-Thanks warren

Comment

Working...
                                X