This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Panda_kRz View Post
    Hey guys, sorry didn't want to go through the whole thread looking for a simple answer, but if a 1987 325(e) comes with a 15 pin connector up front, it is a 1.0 motronic, correct? Also is there a DIY/guide for swapping the 1.0 to 1.1/1.3? The first page didn't really specific on how to do so, thanks.

Here you go http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=100939
    Swanny!
    SUCKERS.

Comment

Thanks... Sometimes it takes longer for me to find stuff I wrote than anyone else, I swear

Hope it helps!

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
        Thanks... Sometimes it takes longer for me to find stuff I wrote than anyone else, I swear

Hope it helps!

Found it!

And here are other related threads for tach wiring and the c104 connector

One of the better pinout references i've seen
        Swanny!
        SUCKERS.

Comment

For the folks that completed the swap,
          -How many miles on your bottom end (assuming untouched)?
          -Did you upgrade the cam, i.e..274, etc. ?
          -Does an upgraded cam require hd rockers?
          -What rpm does power drop off after the swap?
          -Does the motor feel right in upper RPMs?

Thanks!

Comment

225k before the swap.

I bought my 885 head from BimmerHeads with a regrind 272 cam

BimmerHeads head came with HD rockers. I don't think they are strictly necessary with a stock cam.

My power bands sweet spot is 3.2k to 6k. It feels stock in the lower rpm's, pulls like a monster, then starts to drop off after 6k.

It feels awesome. Better than stock 2.5, but I'm sure that's more to do with the cam than the displacement.

Comment

So I've got a built 2.7i seta with the transmission out of the 88 e28. Also I have the 525 ecu and a wiring harness off of a 1991 325i. I've heard rumors that I'll need a oxygen sensor off of a 1991 325i? If so is it plug and play? Not in the bung but on the other side, I'm getting a custom exhaust done so I just need help with the other side and don't know which sensor to get.

Also I'm hearing rumors that I'll need a new fuel rail?

Any help please..

Comment

Another basic q. How did you enlarge the hole for the wiring harness? dremel? hole saw?

Comment

Originally posted by ColbsE30 View Post
                  So I've got a built 2.7i seta with the transmission out of the 88 e28. Also I have the 525 ecu and a wiring harness off of a 1991 325i. I've heard rumors that I'll need a oxygen sensor off of a 1991 325i? If so is it plug and play? Not in the bung but on the other side, I'm getting a custom exhaust done so I just need help with the other side and don't know which sensor to get.

Also I'm hearing rumors that I'll need a new fuel rail?

Any help please..
                  you might need a new fuel rail-- it depends what chassis year the engine is going into. stock 325e fuel lines are setup for opposite-side return rails, and later model 325i (after 89+ I think?) have same-side returns. I believe I have a spare opposite-side return rail if you need one.

just get a new o2 sensor for the 325i (4-wire). It's a good part to have in working order.

Originally posted by jayuuey View Post
                  Another basic q. How did you enlarge the hole for the wiring harness? dremel? hole saw?
                  good luck using a hole saw on something that's already a hole haha. Dremel or small angle grinder would work fine. Be careful, wear eye protection, and go slowly.

Comment

225k before the swap as well

nope went with 885 head and stock cam

stock cam, stock rockers for me

mine starts pulling at what appears to be just before 3k all the way to about 6k, i usually shift at 6200ish anyway. still pulls above 6k but not as strong, feels better to just shift and get back in the sweet spot.

I love mine, ive driven a 325i with a cam and it didnt feel nearly as strong as my motor now. idk what you mean about feel right but yes...im sure it does :)

just match your o2 sensor to the harness/ecu you have, motronic 1.3 (525 ecu) is a 4wire o2 sensor. IDK about fuel rail differences in ETA SETA and 325i

just cut with a dremel, or a chisel, or a hammer, or just hope. any of the typical hole-making-in-e30 tools

Comment

thanks for the replies. I'm pretty torn on getting the cam upgrade. My motor has 275k and I don't see myself refreshing the bottom end just yet. I think i'll just stick with the standard cam right now.

My plan is,
                      refurbed 885, stock cam, motronic 1.3
                      stock eta bottom
                      17# injectors from mepeh
                      stage 1 sssquid 327i
                      Probably stick with my 3.25 lsd unless I can get a good trade deal for a 3.73

Comment

^i think you have a solid setup with just that. if your daily driving it the 3.25 will give you better mpg, i have the 3.73 and it was a HUGE upgrade in acceleration over the 2.93 (although i do miss shifting from 2nd gear at like 70mph). but even now the MPG isnt bad and its a blast. it shocks everyone who sits in it with acceleration. i think a 4.10 would be pretty awesome, as long as your good at shifting :)

ive read that the 525 is a better ecu than other motronic 1.3's but idk enough about the hardware or software to be certain.

not to mention, the best LSD diff, is the one you already have, let it ride bro.

Comment

So I have an I bottom end would it be best to use the i pistons and e rods? Or would i rods and i pistons work well?

Comment

Originally posted by Regnar75 View Post
                            -Pay attention to how many prongs are on your starter. I have 2 studs and 2 spade connectors. Red goes on the right most with thick black battery connector. I put green in top and yellow on bottom. No issues yet.

-to get tach and econometer working use small connector in glove box (c104) and the harness into ecu, attach the black wire in harness to the Black wire on c104 and the black/white (not black/grey!) Of harness to Yellow/white of c104.

-oil level sensor and oil pressure sensors are both different from motronic 1.0 and require you to switch sensors or splice wires and make due. Grab the sensor from junkyard car if your on a budget.

- the valve cover vacuum hose is different if your using all I parts (your e hose will not transfer)

Edit.

- had some starter issues and removed top spade connector and now it works no issue.
                            Couple questions for you.

1st: About the starter. first you mention using the grn/blk wire on the top spade connector, but then later you said you removed it??? just left the grn/blk unplugged?

2nd: Where did you pull the wires that go to the c104? I understand that are coming off the harness from the ecu, are they seperated or do I have to fish for them?

3rd: Easier solution for oil level and oil pressure is to grab the correct sensors for the "I" correct?

4th: What did you do for the valve cover breather hose? Again, just grab one from the "I"?

Thanks, your quick quips are very helpful.
                            Simon
                            Current Cars:
                            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Don't know where to put this sooo.

Bought an 86 325iS with an 154 super eta ecu
                              Replaced it with a 380 (late model 173) ecu.
                              Proves that all motronic 1.1/1.3 ecu's are interchangeable

I noticed the 380 ecu idles alot smoother than the 154.

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                Couple questions for you.

1st: About the starter. first you mention using the grn/blk wire on the top spade connector, but then later you said you removed it??? just left the grn/blk unplugged?

2nd: Where did you pull the wires that go to the c104? I understand that are coming off the harness from the ecu, are they seperated or do I have to fish for them?

3rd: Easier solution for oil level and oil pressure is to grab the correct sensors for the "I" correct?

4th: What did you do for the valve cover breather hose? Again, just grab one from the "I"?

Thanks, your quick quips are very helpful.
                                1st: keep it connected. it is your unloader relay. i took it off once because i was having an issue, which it resolved at the time, but i think i had a connection issue and it wasnt a permanent fix. id keep it in. il check today to see how i left it.

2nd:the connector should be coming from the tach area its a white connector. you have to open the wiring bundle going to the ecu to get to the wires that connect to the tach.

3rd: absolutely. just grab the new sensor and swap it out, same goes for the oil pressure sensor. its easier to grab the sensor that goes to the harness/ecu than to splice a harness.

4th: yep. just got a new I hose. my e hose was cracked but i dont think it would work anyway.

its been a while but i think i remember most of it. il see if i can take some pictures today.

Comment

Working...
                                X