Huge problem... Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
    LOL, ask Firestorm how much skill it is taking him to drop his LS1 into his e30. Or any other member that desided to do a different swap instead of a I6 BMW motor.
    What he said :D

Lsx/t56 Swap progress |----------| .0000000005% - Well below poverty line.
    Getting purists panties in a knot since 2007. ;)
    E30 count = 6! :shock:

Comment

I'd like to know how you plan on getting the 3800 to work in there. Unless your talking about that old POS that they stuck in the base model RWD Cutlass/Regal. Modern 3800 has GM's FWD bolt pattern, and there are only two GM vehicles to my knowledge equipped with RWD transmissions with the FWD bolt pattern. And if you are thinking of the S/C 3800, I REALLY want to see you get that in there. The blower packaging does not work in RWD.
      -Dave
      2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

Yea... I really doubt I'll be swapping anything else in. The last engine swap project I helped with started two years ago and still doesn't run. Not my fault but still not a good omen.

So how about some figures? Has anyone rebuilt their M20? How much did it cost and what parts did you use? (OEM, aftermarket, etc.?) Or how about some pricing on some engines? I'm open to a lot of ideas so just post 'em up.
        sigpic
        Been over a year and it still doesn't the other motor mount made...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
          I'd like to know how you plan on getting the 3800 to work in there. Unless your talking about that old POS that they stuck in the base model RWD Cutlass/Regal. Modern 3800 has GM's FWD bolt pattern, and there are only two GM vehicles to my knowledge equipped with RWD transmissions with the FWD bolt pattern. And if you are thinking of the S/C 3800, I REALLY want to see you get that in there. The blower packaging does not work in RWD.
          I hadn't thought this far ahead beacause I wasn't really considering it. Just entertaining it. But, if there's anything I've learned from being around american cars, it's that anything is possible.

And besides, it's not worth my time unless it gives me thousands of headaches.
          sigpic

Comment

So, yea. I found the problem. Dangling from the chassis. I have pictures and would really like someone to tell me what this part is.[/IMG]
            sigpic

Comment

Oh my, thats not good. Was that towards the front of the car? Possibly from the engine compartment? It looks like your motor is indeed fucked if thats what I think it is.
              -Dave

Comment

Oh, yea. It came off the block. Actually, that is part of the block in the picture. Fucked is an understatement.
                sigpic

Comment

Well since im sure your wondering, that gear is what drives the oil pump. So block being broken aside, everything is probably good and seized too.
                  -Dave

Comment

That's what I figured. Wow... this sucks. So now that rebuilding is out of the question, anybody got a used m20 or a swap they wanna see done?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by duodvlhntr View Post
                      That's what I figured. Wow... this sucks. So now that rebuilding is out of the question, anybody got a used m20 or a swap they wanna see done?
                      Yeah, I want to see someone drop in a modern 3.5L v6 making ~300 hp. Toyota, GM, take your pic. ;)

Comment

Hmm... interesting... I'll see what I can find. Anybody else?
                        sigpic

Comment

Well, what resources do you have? For a swap like that, OBDI compatibility would be nice. Do you have a preference? As far as GM FWD engines go, you would want the transmission out of a 2.2L Chevy S10, or a 4g 3.8L Camaro (late model, earlys had the 3.4 IIRC)
                          -Dave

Comment

The only resource I lack right now is the important one, money. I can fabricate anything I need to and I have plenty of junkyards that I can check. I also work at an auto parts store so I've got that going for me. The only engine that I have at my current disposal is the 3800 from an 89 LeSabre. I'd need a tranny for that. But otherwise, everything is still there. One idea my friends and I have joked about is a 4.3 v6 from one of the chevy "Xtreme"s. I'd rather not put a truck engine in because I really love high rpm's. Torque is great but, I like engines to scream.
                            sigpic

Comment

Swap in an M30. It's not a huge amount of work and it yields pretty great results for not a lot of money.
                              '88 528e /// '88 M5 /// '89 951 /// '98 E430 /// '02 M5

Comment

Alright, alright. Great suggestions guys. As far as M30's go, I don't know where to find one... (I probably should though...) I don't really feel like doing the research right now so some help would be nice. I'm almost considering a SR20. Just because it'd be easy to find parts and aftermarket support for it. But no Honda suggestions. Let's not go down that road.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X