Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I replace my head gasket while my engine is out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I replace my head gasket while my engine is out?

1989 325i w/129,000 miles. Seemed fine when I pulled the engine, head gasket kit costs around $47 (cheap). I've heard if cars don't need the head gasket replaced it's best to keep the original, since the seal is tighter or something, but I don't know if it's true. What do you guys think?

if there's nothing wrong with it, leave it alone. you'd be opening a can of worms - you really need to have the block and head surfaced and checked for flatness, there's a bunch of other gaskets you'd want to replace on top of the head, you have to get new headbolts and then you have to torque them properly. and then if you have the head off, you may as well refresh it.. and on and on and on, until you've spend $1500 instead of the $47 you'd planned. :)
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks man, that's what I figured. The head gasket is the only external gasket that isn't going to be replaced.

Side note: anyone know what size the torx bolt is that holds the cam gear?

Comment

t50 I think - m10x35
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Killer, I'm heading to Sears. I gotta get this cabby running, it's been down for SO long. Thanks again.

Comment

agree with nando....

"if there's nothing wrong with it, leave it alone" inspect it all out make sure its all good, line timing belt, water pump etc.
            sigpic
            - 0.05s and 0.1s FTW!!!

Comment

The only reason I would take the head off is to port and polish the head. So unless you have a compression leak then leave it on. If you do have a compression leak (do a leak down test) then id suggest new bearings and rings. I prefer to do it right the first time.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
              1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Is there a way to do a leakdown test with the engine out of the car? You have to turn it over, don't you?

Comment

Nope just have to have the leak down tool and you have to close the valves by backing off the rocker arms.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
                  1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Working...
                  X