Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no spark no fuel NOT reference position sensor

we arent getting spark to the plugs

reference sensors are as they should be, the metal pin is on the flywheel, we swapped coils and stil no change, it just isnt getting spark?

We are at an absolute loss, we have been hard at it since early this morning.

so far we have:

fixed fuseable link
    new reference position sensors
    checked for metal pin on flywheel and its there
    swapped working coil
    swapped working cap and rotor
    swapped between three ecu's
    checked main relay power

we do have fuel pressure to the rail.

we have temp and fuel gages but no dash lights -no check engine light etc.

Are the plugs so wet that they won't fire? If they're soaked with fuel, no spark will jump the gap. Pull one of the wires and put a new spark plug on it and crank it over, looking for a spark.

I hope this fixes it, because it sure is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
      Are the plugs so wet that they won't fire? If they're soaked with fuel, no spark will jump the gap. Pull one of the wires and put a new spark plug on it and crank it over, looking for a spark.

I hope this fixes it, because it sure is easy.

That was one of my problems when my car wouldnt start. Do this Asap & let us know!

Comment

man your problem sounds alot like mine! but I have no fuel pressure.
        im doing the engine wiring harness today and tomorrow to see what I get from that.
        im not even gonna go look for the metal pin in the damper because if its not there and I didnt check, I will evacuate my brains to the ground.

keep us updated. Maybe your post will fix my car too.

Comment

fuseable link.... are you talking about the junction where the battery would go on a Vert?

Comment

well go back to basics..
            is your battery charged?
            you need at least 9v to get a spark.
            if your trying to start your engine with a dead battery good luck.
            it could be that.

Comment

no plugs are good, we have several pulled out looking for spark so they are bone dry

the batter has over 9v, I kept checking it as we went

-fusable link on the wire that powers the DME, we replaced it

Comment

Early engine right? (pre 87) it helps to state that in the post. There is no check engine light on these engines
                The starter would not be able to crank the engine over long before the spark plugs wouldn't get enough juice .
                Are the injectors spraying fuel? have you checked for power at the coil? you should have power at the positive terminal (15) with the key in the run position, the dme switches ground to trigger the secondary. I would also try checking the reference sensor resistance at the DME connector to see if there is a break somewhere (between pins 25 and 26 on the connector)

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

How did you check the power to the main relay?

Comment

the main relay gives power to the fuel pump rela. The DME when it senses the engine is cranking switches the relay, powering the fuel pump. the main relay also powers the injecters. It doesn't have anything to do with ignition. I'm not sure if the DME uses the reference signal or the speed signal sensor to turn on the fuel pump. Since you say you have fuel pressure at the rail (how did you check this?) you can assume that one of the sensors works. Test the speed sensor at the DME connector too (~960 ohms between pins and 27) just to be sure, the wiring may be suspect you never know.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

The main relay also powers the DME, check the wiring diagrams. I had a no spark issuse, and it was the main relay, I hooked up some jumper wires, two coming from socket 30 one going to socket 87 and other to socket 87a, and it fired right up.

Comment

Working...
                      X