Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New exhaust manifold gaskets

Help
    trying to replace EM gaskets and the tear manifold refused to go back on as it was tilted back and there was not enough play to fit over studs so removed down pipe and now it still won’t go back. The down pipe is in the way! Am I going to have to take off front down pipe and drop entire exhaust to reattach manifold and down pipes? Plan to drop front down pipe drop entire exhaust reattach manifolds then reattach down pipes! Then entire exhaust! Is there an easier way? down pipe studs are a bitch!

thanks

Can you double nut the studs and pull them out? They're M8 and as long as they aren't crusty they should come out.

Otherwise maybe loosen a motor mount and jack the engine to get more clearance?
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

You need to unscrew the heat protection plate below the pipes.
      Then the pipes will move down more and you'll be able to move them out of the studs.

Last edited by Vincenze; 02-21-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Vincenze, Thanks I will try that I appreciate the info! This has become much more than I anticipated! Will remove this plate and see if that helps!

Comment

Had to disconnect entire exhaust from car and attached flex down pipe and loosely mounted that side then with the down pipe in the front manifold had to crowbar the manifold away from the block and simultaneously twist the exhaust to get manifold back on and it was job I WILL NOT EVER DO AGAIN! Then no start with leaking injector superior o ring at fuel rail! Pulled fuel rail cause injectors were not pumping gas! I replaced the original with some injectors from another car I had cleaned and out new o rings on!! Ethanol clogged all 6 injectors! Pulled fuel rail with IM on car, NOT FUN, replaced injectors with ones on car when I pulled IM last week and reinstalled! NOT FUN! #4 leaked like #6 did earlier! O-rings getting cut somehow! Pulled a single injector #4 which was not easy and reinstalled which was not easy and running again!!! Lots of lessons learned today! In retrospect the flex down pipe needed to be compressed I think which was impossible! Not a fun job with jack stands and floor jacks! Thanks for input!!! Got hood off and getting it repainted underneath and now recleared after mishap at shop and hopefully get it back on this week. Then drive it a while ....I NEED A BREAK!!!

Comment

Working...
          X