New car maintenance advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New car maintenance advice

About to get a stroked 85’ 325e and was wondering what you guys think should be the first engine maintenance jobs I should do. I'm not gonna have too much money left over after buying the car but enough for necessary things like a timing belt replacement. Would love any advice y’all have to offer! Thanks

After the timing belt and water pump. And since you're low on cash, check the fuel lines and brake lines and hoses for cracks, replace as necessary. Check the suspension parts (bushings etc). Check the brake pads and rotors. Of course, inspect the tires for both tread depth and age. I like to change all the fluids in a car new to me so I have a fresh start and know their good and what was used. With these 30+ year old cars, its always something. Oh, and get a Bentley manual.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
      After the timing belt and water pump. And since you're low on cash, check the fuel lines and brake lines and hoses for cracks, replace as necessary. Check the suspension parts (bushings etc). Check the brake pads and rotors. Of course, inspect the tires for both tread depth and age. I like to change all the fluids in a car new to me so I have a fresh start and know their good and what was used. With these 30+ year old cars, its always something. Oh, and get a Bentley manual.
      Thank you for the detailed and friendly response. I planned to do fluids and check all the cheap but very necessary stuff like the lines and hoses. I’m looking forward to working on this car so much. Is there any reason why lots of people recommend the Bentley manual btw? And do you think there’s a online one somewhere ?

Comment

The Bentley Manual is just the go-to shop manual for pretty much anything and everything related to working E30s. Haynes also publish one, but I don't think it's as well regarded as the Bentley. Saying that, the Bentley isn't perfect.

In a nutshell, it'll probably have answers for 90% of your how-to maintenance questions. Hell, it even tells you how to pull apart/rebuild your transmission...

Comment

I would also recommend that you download the wiring diagrams from here: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/

Very helpful at times.
          2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

I recommend you purchase a replacement clutch fan right away. I would perform a full fluid change on the engine, power steering, transmission, differential, cooling system and brake system. I usually replace the o2 sensor, AFM, and inspect the distributor cap and rotor. Definitely fuel lines as they can crack and leak fuel.
            Owner - Bavarian Restoration
            BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
            www.BavRest.com
            My Feedback Thread
            Our Facebook!
            Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasE30 View Post

Is there any reason why lots of people recommend the Bentley manual btw? And do you think there’s a online one somewhere ?
              The book isn't the best source of information. It's online.
              It's incomplete.

Check this How-Tos first https://classicbimmerbits.com/e30-how-to/
              And youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                The book isn't the best source of information. It's online.
                It's incomplete.

Check this How-Tos first https://classicbimmerbits.com/e30-how-to/
                And youtube.

Thank you for the link. That website is very thorough. I will be sure to use that as well as videos and other sources.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post
                  I recommend you purchase a replacement clutch fan right away. I would perform a full fluid change on the engine, power steering, transmission, differential, cooling system and brake system. I usually replace the o2 sensor, AFM, and inspect the distributor cap and rotor. Definitely fuel lines as they can crack and leak fuel.
                  Yeah fluid changes and feul lines and hoses were some of my first choices because they're cheap and easy. I'll check out the clutch fan while i'm at it. Are these prone to breaking / needing replacing after a while or is it just a good preventative?

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
                    I would also recommend that you download the wiring diagrams from here: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/

Very helpful at times.
                    Wiring diagrams would be very helpful along with the manual. I'll bookmark that!

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasE30 View Post

Yeah fluid changes and feul lines and hoses were some of my first choices because they're cheap and easy. I'll check out the clutch fan while i'm at it. Are these prone to breaking / needing replacing after a while or is it just a good preventative?
                      I would never trust a 30 year old fan clutch or even a 10 year old one. Whats the worse than can happen? Car overheats and cracks the engine head or block or both. Never go cheap or short on cooling system parts.
                      Owner - Bavarian Restoration
                      BMW and European Electronics Repair and Restoration
                      www.BavRest.com
                      My Feedback Thread
                      Our Facebook!
                      Follow our Instagram!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregs///M View Post

I would never trust a 30 year old fan clutch or even a 10 year old one. Whats the worse than can happen? Car overheats and cracks the engine head or block or both. Never go cheap or short on cooling system parts.
                        Thank you for the info. Don't know much on fan clutches so I'll be sure to do that. I love the cluster restorations you guys have your website BTW.

Comment

Working...
                        X