HELP! need crank damper to block measurement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! need crank damper to block measurement

I picked up my second e30 now a semi running 2.9l stroker m20. After doing some tuning I had a loud whining noise and found my crank damper is rubbing my water pump pulley very slightly. The stroker was assembled by the previous owner and im trying to narrow down what is the main cause. I have a feeling the crank spacer for the oil seal was machined a little too thick, but also could have and issue with my thrust bearing or the water pump itself.

Im trying to see if anyone can provide a decently accurate measurement on how far the outer part of the teeth measure from the block. See pic for reference

Comment

2.8" / 71.2-71.3 mm to the left most face of the tigger wheel teeth. i measured using a vernier depth gauge on stock m20b25.

there is only like 1-1.25mm normally between that face and the water pump pulley
      Last edited by digger; 05-08-2020, 05:19 PM.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I had that issue in a car one time, turned out the crank bolt was not torqued properly.

If the crank spacer was too thick, the damper would be pushed further away from the block.

EDIT: Went and measured, I am within .004" (.1mm) of Digger.
        Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 05-11-2020, 09:25 AM.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

my measurements are within a hair of what you guys are getting so i dont think it was the damper too far forward anymore. I suspect it was a crappy water pump and maybe no gasket just RTV used as a sealer. Its not leaking so im not going to tear it all down. I ended up shimming the water pump pulley just enough to get about the 1mm gap between the water pump pulley and damper

Comment

Working...
          X