Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High Compression, High Torque Eta options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want a high compression high torque engine you want a nice 2.7 I based engine it’s “easier”

eta crank and rod, b25 piston, decked block, stocks 885 head.

it will probably out torque the eta across the board and way out power it

a 731 swap is also ok but unless it’s been properly fettled by someone competent ( not many are) you’ll soon get bored with it.
    Last edited by digger; 08-21-2020, 03:03 AM.
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Yes. I assume Our Man John / FF is the guy to help with this. So the decked block gets the stock i piston back up to decent compression with eta rods, and the 885 head and stock pistons are fairly reasonable to find. I'd enjoy learning to do a full engine rebuild, if I could go slow and careful and didn't need the car back on the road right away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6309.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	9946508

Great info, guys, thank you. I'll file it for when we need to make a change.

Comment

Unorthodox opinion: if you’re looking for lots of torque and have good charging infrastructure nearby and aren’t very concerned about powertrain originality, consider doing an electric motor swap once your engine goes kaput. Gas-based infrastructure is going to be on the decline over the next few decades with the rise of electric cars. Electric motors are boring, but they are a lot smoother, more efficient, much torquier, much simpler, and much more reliable than a gas engine ever will be. You can even use the motor as a brake, eliminating the need to run brake lines and replace pads, rotors, and calipers. This can free up lots of time and money to maintain other parts of the car that will degrade over time like the body, interior, suspension, sound system, and climate control. In a few years the cost of an electric swap will be the same as or even cheaper than rebuilding the original gas engine depending on what you want. The battery tech is also evolving very rapidly.
        1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
        1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Someday that might be the ticket.

For an additional data point, Mahle Motorsports division wrote me to say they can build any M20 piston on a made-to-order basis. Lead time 6-8 weeks after design is completed. Cost is $4200 for six pistons with rings, wrist pins, and clips.

Comment

Mate I got a custom set from Mahle MS for a lot less. Did you ask for gold plated ?
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Platinum with embedded diamonds.

Comment

Mate you misread the email

it’s $200-$250 per cylinder

the 4 is a $ typo

Comment

1500 makes a lot more sense. Shoulda caught that, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X