Cleaning underneath valve cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JehTehsus View Post

I think I will do the same as you then, drill and tap. I know my powder coater was aware, but even so.
    Just be aware if you do this.... after I had my M20 engine rebuilt there was a weird popping and cracking sound coming from head after turning the engine off. We finally realized it was the sound of the plate moving with heat contraction. When its riveted its totally fixed, but with bolts it will move under expansion/contraction.

Comment

Originally posted by agisthos View Post

Just be aware if you do this.... after I had my M20 engine rebuilt there was a weird popping and cracking sound coming from head after turning the engine off. We finally realized it was the sound of the plate moving with heat contraction. When its riveted its totally fixed, but with bolts it will move under expansion/contraction.
      Thanks for the heads up. I may even be able to rivet it again, I know there is a rivet gun hiding somewhere around my uncles shop.

Comment

Rivets would have to be exactly the right size to both grip and not bust out the cast aluminum holes..or worse just fracture the aluminum and have it fall apart while you're driving. I Would also think that anything that's so caked in there that chemicals or pressure washing won't remove it isn't going anywhere just from driving around. 🤷‍♂️
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          Rivets would have to be exactly the right size to both grip and not bust out the cast aluminum holes..or worse just fracture the aluminum and have it fall apart while you're driving. I Would also think that anything that's so caked in there that chemicals or pressure washing won't remove it isn't going anywhere just from driving around. 🤷‍♂️
          I think in terms of sand leftover from blasting coming out into the valve train, it is unlikely normally, especially since that portion of the valve cover is often under some degree of vacuum or another due to the valve cover vent.

All that being said, I am running my valve cover vent open to atmosphere (through a catch can) since I am boosting the motor. Probably still not an issue with the engine running, but if there is a momentary reversion where crank case pressure drops below atmospheric I would not want to pull crap into the valve train.

You make a good point about the rivets, however, some bolts with a drop of loctite is likely the safest approach.

Comment

Working...
          X