Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m20b25 knocking, tapping, ticking? after valve adjustment

My m20b25 is tapping loud, both cold and warm

I just replaced the valve cover gasket, 4 rubber plugs, did valve adjustment with 0.25mm feeler gauge (actually twice, just to make sure)
    I also replaced all 12 eccentrics since old ones were worn out
    I did clean valve cover since it was covered with oil and gunk inside

I think it's coming from the head for sure
    It wasn't this bad before I worked on it, and now it's worse
    I read Bentley's manual multiple times and watched youtube videos on how to perform valve adjustments but still ended up like this

Any help or comment or thoughts would be appreciated

When adjusting rockers, make sure the lobe is pointing straight down and never try to do both rockers at once. Also, it's easy to locate the sound by running the engine with the valve cover off, just be sure to plug the vent hose, and might want to put something down to catch oil splatter.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
      When adjusting rockers, make sure the lobe is pointing straight down and never try to do both rockers at once. Also, it's easy to locate the sound by running the engine with the valve cover off, just be sure to plug the vent hose, and might want to put something down to catch oil splatter.
      Thanks for the comment,
      I did make sure each lobe was facing down and the valve was closed
      I also adjusted them one by one

I think at this point, it's out of my ability, maybe I should take it to a reputable bmw mechanic 🤦🏻‍♂️

Comment

More than likely it's just a worn rocker retaining clip if the sound developed after the work. Also, it's possible to have the eccentrics in backwards. :/
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by mnmnmmm_ View Post
          I think at this point, it's out of my ability, maybe I should take it to a reputable bmw mechanic 🤦🏻‍♂️
          You might as well increase your ability by learning to fix this problem.

I'm assuming the valve-train wasn't this loud before the adjustment, so you likely introduced a problem (which is a good thing). Follow FF's advice to see if it's a single valve or all of them. Adjusting valves is super easy, but adjusting them to a "slight drag" on the 0.025" feeler gauge takes some practice to get it right.

You can do it, just try again.
          Last edited by McGyver; 09-01-2020, 10:44 AM.
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            More than likely it's just a worn rocker retaining clip if the sound developed after the work. Also, it's possible to have the eccentrics in backwards. :/
            by rocker retaining clamp, you mean P/N 11331280933?
            It looks like it's about a dollar each, easy to replace

I'll try this for the last time, and double check the eccentrics and see how this goes

Thanks for the help, appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

You might as well increase your ability by learning to fix this problem.

I'm assuming the valve-train wasn't this loud before the adjustment, so you likely introduced a problem (which is a good thing). Follow FF's advice to see if it's a single valve or all of them. Adjusting valves is super easy, but adjusting them to a "slight drag" on the 0.025" feeler gauge take some practice to get it right.

You can do it, just try again.
              You're right, it wasn't as loud as this before
              It was ticking but not this loud

Thanks for the comment, I'll try one last time replacing the rocker clamps

Comment

Working...
              X