Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space between Water Pump pulley and Harmonic Balancer (really small gap )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Space between Water Pump pulley and Harmonic Balancer (really small gap )

Hey peeps, I am in the process of doing a water pump, timing belt job and when putting back on the water pump pulley, I noticed how close it was to the harmonic balancer...its not touching.. but its really close.
    Is this as expected? see pic below...

All bolts are tightened etc... Just want to make sure before I start on putting on the belts...which will line up just fine.. but that space is gonna worry me.

thanks !

I don't remember noticing that on mine, but I think you're good
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

You cleaned belt cover really well.what did you do?
      Clearance really tight u may need to purchase the same belt brand as the old ones, if u needed to replace the belts.
      Last edited by ADEN; 10-27-2020, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
        I don't remember noticing that on mine, but I think you're good
        thanks tomstin... i wished i had taken a better pic before i removed the water pump pulley so that i can compare.

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post
          You cleaned belt cover really well.what did you do?
          Clearance really tight u may need to purchase the same belt brand as the old ones, if u needed to replace the belts.
          Hey Aden, I used a degreaser, brake cleaner and a really light abrasive pad I picked up from Home Depot.
          Hope it stays clean.
          It's a 1988 352e that seemed to have never had anything done to it. So much gunk and dirt, but that adds to the satisfaction of making it clean :)

Comment

I just refurbed my M20 and can share this photo (yes I'm running PS delete, yes I'm running AC delete). That tiny gap between the harmonic balancer and WP pulley is normal based on my view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6099.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	9957862

Comment

Yeah it’s like 1mm or so, it is totally normal
              89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by mike87 View Post
                I just refurbed my M20 and can share this photo (yes I'm running PS delete, yes I'm running AC delete). That tiny gap between the harmonic balancer and WP pulley is normal based on my view.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6099.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	9957862
                Damn Mike87..... you really took it up a notch eh :) i really would loooove to do that also to clean that seta motor.... maybe one day. :)
                My fear is that i would not be able to reassemble it once i take it apart to pull it out.
                I really like how that looks.... goals man.. goals :)
                thanks for sharing !

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                  Yeah it’s like 1mm or so, it is totally normal
                  thanks digger. 1mm is whew... smalllll..
                  I kept thinking if I hit a bump and they touch.. lol.
                  German engineering eh.. :)

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDelphin View Post

Damn Mike87..... you really took it up a notch eh :) i really would loooove to do that also to clean that seta motor.... maybe one day. :)
                    My fear is that i would not be able to reassemble it once i take it apart to pull it out.
                    I really like how that looks.... goals man.. goals :)
                    thanks for sharing !
                    Thanks! You should, it's not as hard as it looks and reassembly is easy since the BMW diagrams and tightening torques/DIYs/repair manuals are all available online. This was only the second engine I've ever rebuilt, first one being an S50.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCDelphin View Post
                      thanks digger. 1mm is whew... smalllll..
                      I kept thinking if I hit a bump and they touch.. lol.
                      German engineering eh.. :)
                      If you hit a bump and they touch, you have some serious problems. The spinny parts should only be able to spin, not move in any other way.
                      sigpic
                      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

If you hit a bump and they touch, you have some serious problems. The spinny parts should only be able to spin, not move in any other way.
                        Yeah what McGyver said. If they do touch, then your water pump is likely the culprit and should be replaced.

Comment

the rubber on the vibration damper also can also allow things to move around if it deteriorates
                          89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

got it. thanks mon.

Comment

Originally posted by mike87 View Post

Yeah what McGyver said. If they do touch, then your water pump is likely the culprit and should be replaced.
                              cool. its a new pump and it sits good and no play.... but will keep an eye on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X