Cooling system confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooling system confusion

So im trying to buy parts for me E30 and for some reason the vin that I put in Real oem is telling me that i have a different expansion tank and radiator, checking other websites is telling me the same thing. So im wondering does it seem like the last owner changed it out or is something else is going on.

What year and model of car? The expansion tank looks like my 325E but your engine looks like a 325I. Maybe the previous owner did some swapping around with parts they had? The folks at GetBMWParts are very helpful if you need to chat with someone.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
      What year and model of car? The expansion tank looks like my 325E but your engine looks like a 325I. Maybe the previous owner did some swapping around with parts they had? The folks at GetBMWParts are very helpful if you need to chat with someone.
      Its a 1989 325i Coupe 5 speed

Comment

There was a changeover for build dates in 9/1987 from the early to late model cooling system. Your 1989 should have a late model system, so someone did something weird with your car.

This is evident based on the fact that your expansion tank and coil are in the incorrect location:

Here's pics of a 1987 vert sold.
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
          There was a changeover for build dates in 9/1987 from the early to late model cooling system. Your 1989 should have a late model system, so someone did something weird with your car.

This is evident based on the fact that your expansion tank and coil are in the incorrect location:

Here's pics of a 1987 vert sold.
          Yeah I figured it out, the person put a fucking 325E water pump and bunch of other hack shit to the car, no wonder because i was so lost when I was looking up parts for it

Comment

Something looks very sketchy in the OP's image.
            You can still see the black clip on the LH fender where the expansion tank clips into.
            - is that expansion tank bracket welded onto the RH strut tower??

I guess it was too hard to send the 'early' parts back and get the correct 'later' parts.
            (w-pump, expansion tank, rad, rad hoses, etc.)

That sucks - more $$ to make it right.
            E30 320i vert
            But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

yeah it is unfortunately, and also after looking some more looks like im gonna have to get a new core suppourt cause its bent at the bottom pretty badly and as well as the tabs for the radiator are both gone so i cant do anything until i get that done. some hack got ahold of this car

Comment

yeah what the fuck did PO do? Wonder if they just swapped the engine from an 97 and brought the whole cooling system with it instead of changing only the water pump.

Fucking PO's man...
                Originally posted by priapism
                My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                Originally posted by shameson
                Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  yeah what the fuck did PO do? Wonder if they just swapped the engine from an 97 and brought the whole cooling system with it instead of changing only the water pump.

Fucking PO's man...
                  yeah they did some savagery to this poor car, and I need to get new radiator tabs and the bottom of the corer suppourt welded cause theyre all kinds of fucked up

Comment

Originally posted by Rockardo View Post

yeah they did some savagery to this poor car, and I need to get new radiator tabs and the bottom of the corer suppourt welded cause theyre all kinds of fucked up
                    If it's a late model, it should have mounting points on the frame rails instead of the bottom of the rad support (if you're planning to switch radiators I mean)
                    Originally posted by priapism
                    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                    Originally posted by shameson
                    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

If it's a late model, it should have mounting points on the frame rails instead of the bottom of the rad support (if you're planning to switch radiators I mean)
                      problem is some waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles cut off the radiator tabs so now i gotta either get a new core suppourt, or weld new tabs in

Comment

I am running a early model pump and reservoir with a late model e36 m3 radiator in my m20b25 swapped 325e. The early model cooling system is just fine and I haven't had any issues with bleeding although I have heard that people can run into issues. I have the stuff to convert it to a late model setup, but I I will probably hold off until the turbo setup.

You might as well stick with the early model system if you go through it.
                        Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Working...
                        X