M20 Camshaft Tolerances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Camshaft Tolerances

All, overheated my M20 engine on my '88 325i vert and rather than pull over drove the last few miles home. Was not a good decision as I warped the head but had a happy ending as I found a replacement nearby for a reasonable cost and a weekend later I was back on the road. Stripped the old head of valves, springs and camshaft, and recycled the rest. Just checked the camshaft and it is 15 thousands out in the center. I assume it is shot but wanted to see if anyone had an idea of what is acceptable. I would guess 2 or 3 thousands, and any advise would be appreciated.

if you are talking bent like a banana as in you put on v blocks at thr ends and rotated and checked runout in center? ? then its toast
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

^^as Digger said, you have to worry about cam rounout when a head is warped. The m20 doesn't have "cam bearings", so the cam rides on bosses in the head. If the head is warped, it needs to be heat-straightened before milling, or it's going to be junk.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
      X