Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did i rush it? I felt like I rushed it.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
      I think I've figured out why this thread bothers me.

You know - if I ever found myself in a room full of people, all of whom had more experience than I did, and they were all telling me "it's fine you want to do somethings your way, but on this one, trust us, do it our way" - you know what? I'd stop what I was doing and listen to them.

But apparently, for you, this swap isn't about swapping a motor into a car - it's about the act of DOING the swap, not the final result. It feels good, and you are having fun.

It seems at every junction you are choosing what looks more "fun" for you to do. What looks cool. A "real" fan, an embossing on the block, or pistons that you could eat off of. Then if someone says something negative, you just say that it's "your way" of doing it. Well - there is a right and a wrong way.

So, just know that what you are doing is "playing" mechanic. Cleaning off the top of your pistons till they are shiny is not doing real work. It's pretend work. A real mechanic is looking at that motor, not with their eyes, but with a set of calipers. What's the clearance here? Oh, this will need work - or - let's leave this alone.

So all this pretend work - it kinda looks like one of those little girls at a pretend tea parties, sipping their pretend tea. It's kinda gay - and guess why? There isn't even any fucking tea.

/end rant
      /audi 5000
      Fuck off, really. Do I have to be any clearer? I've said a million times I'm not rebuilding my engine. If I were rebuilding my engine I'd send it to a mechanic because I'm not a mechanic and don't ever want to be a mechanic. But for cleaning up the engine, replacing a few wear/tear parts, and customizing it a bit I get called a poser? Tell me exactly why I should have listened and picked the electric fan because to you, an electric fan is "the right way".
      But apparently, for you, this swap isn't about swapping a motor into a car - it's about the act of DOING the swap, not the final result. It feels good, and you are having fun.
      This is the definition of a hobby. I work on my car as a hobby, not a job.

I rarely get solid advice here and when I do I appreciate it. I continue to get mocked because I choose not to drive a POS that goes fast and I'd rather have a nice looking car. This thread could continue on forever with pointless arguing (much like politics) so I'm going to stop it here. I really don't understand the level of maturity on this forum.

Comment

Fair enough. I'm out.
        Originally posted by Matt-B
        hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I thought I gave you fairly solid advice...

:(

Comment

So if Alpina and Hartge saw it unfit why are you notching your frame? You realize your headlight wipers hurt the balance as well right? Its not a track animal..

Edit: I guess i'm beating a dead horse. Whatever

Comment

I'm not going to yell at you for doing something different or tell you why you shouldn't, as I know you already know. These are actual questions.

So you notched the subframe so the engine could sit lower. You said you were moving the steering rack backwards as well for more oil pan clearance, but are you moving it down too? What do you plan on doing about the steering knuckle now or the difference in angles between the tie rods and the control arms? Does the sway bar get in the way too, or are you spacing that down as well?

Do you plan on spacing the transmission down so that the angle on your guibo is still correct? I doubt it would be enough to change, but you could run into shifter length issues if you do space the transmission.

Any reason you didn't just shorten the oil pan? That seems like the least amount of work to get the engine lower.
              Byron
              Leichtbau

Comment

Sooooo are we drinking non existent Earl Grey or non existent English Breakfast?

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                  I'm not going to yell at you for doing something different or tell you why you shouldn't, as I know you already know. These are actual questions.

So you notched the subframe so the engine could sit lower. You said you were moving the steering rack backwards as well for more oil pan clearance, but are you moving it down too? What do you plan on doing about the steering knuckle now or the difference in angles between the tie rods and the control arms? Does the sway bar get in the way too, or are you spacing that down as well?

Do you plan on spacing the transmission down so that the angle on your guibo is still correct? I doubt it would be enough to change, but you could run into shifter length issues if you do space the transmission.

Any reason you didn't just shorten the oil pan? That seems like the least amount of work to get the engine lower.
                  Who cares about any of that. Its gonna look nice and that's what matters, not the 10 new problems he's creating by "fixing" this one.

Go back to tech where they will coddle your fragility instead of giving you sound advice. You're beyond saving IMO.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                  MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                  | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Customising an oil pan is the next easiest way (after the dreaded electric fan) to get this "Position Three" without fucking up suspension geometry. It wouldn't be any more expensive to have done than a properly notched subframe and all the associated bits and would allow you to add a bit of oil capacity too (with wings).

As for the rest of the saga... I really wanted to like this car, and I like 70% of what Andrew does, but FUCK ME fair enough the 'leccy fan isn't for you - not everybody likes a well thought-out, simple, cheap and easy solution that uses modern technology, but get off your fucking high horse.

A lot of the shit you cop is from you being a stubborn, rude little waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles to people on here and completely ignoring good advice with no thanks for those peoples' attempts to help or educate you (even if they are bluntly worded - they're still just words). You will most likely continue to trot out the line about people being jerks to you first, but FFS it is the internet - harden the fuck up, princess and deal with the fact that there are other people out there who don't share the same opinions. Thank them for taking the time to even try to help you out, snide remarks or not, and get over yourself. You are not special, you are not picked on because you are some rare flower. You're just an OCD kid with an old German car and too much spare fucking time.
                    Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
                      You're just an OCD kid with an old German car and too much spare fucking time.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

Bottom line; I'm gonna laugh my ass off when I hear it overheats at stoplights.

Comment

I dont get how you can say it's just a hobby, "i'm not a mechanic", then ignore advice from actual mechanics, or even just people who've completed the swap...

And to keep my reputation straight 'round here:

in 4 lolz

Comment

I think I like this section more then the 24v swap section. More lolz in here.

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I feel your OCD Japan Drew.
                              I cleaned and SEM'd broken fender lining the other day. Not sure why. I couldnt stop thinking about it though.

Comment

Remember when he spent days polishing his piston crowns, but wouldn't take the time to even check the chain rails? Even though everyone told him, "Check your F**king chain rails! Seriously!" He refused to do it. Eventually he pulled the timing cover just to polish the fucking thing and guess what! It turned out they were completely fucked.

Iain hit the nail on the head. You ignore sound, good, tested advice from people who know 1000x more than you'll ever know, and then try to cover your ass when 'your way' explodes in a ball of flame because you wouldn't listen.

This is exactly what going to happen here. You're going to ruin your suspension geometry, get wicked bumpsteer and put the thing in to a fucking tree sideways. And we'll all laugh and say 'I told you so', just like we have been on every other stupid idea you've brought up.

You're 18, I get it. I was cocky and stupid at 18 too. But i knew to take advice from people who were older and had more experience than me. Do the world a favor and take your ego out of this build.
                                Last edited by CorvallisBMW; 03-11-2010, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X