Thanks, been going slow, but I can see the finish line.
I've been going through my harness to make sure everything is good to go when I throw the motor in. There's 3 red wires, that are cut, coming from where the relays/c101 are. I found out that one goes to the battery. The other 2 are cut at the same angle, so I'm assuming that the other 2 go there as well. Can anyone confirm this? I tried taking a couple pics, but didn't save for some reason.
Also, with the C101, do I need the oil level dynamic/static and diag pin 6 connected to anything? I don't have them on my 318 plug.
1st swap...
Collapse
X
-
looking really good! look forward to more pics!
ps. i know how you feel wanting to get it back on the road!Leave a comment:
-
Well after a couple hours of tugging, unbolting the exhaust manifold, and finding out there was a shock absorber attached to the passenger motor mount; the M10 is finally out. Waiting on some mounts from Qbang, electric fan from Summit, thermostat housing and rotor from Pelican Parts, and the M30 should be good to go in. Gonna get all my electrical wiring done tomorrow on my day off.
Didn't get a before pic, but here's my empty bay.

Did a little bit of wiping on the rack and subframe, finishing that tomorrow as well.Leave a comment:
-
Leave a comment:
-
M30 trans w/ the same m20 output shaft p/n.
M30s that need the longer style flange.
So I guess if you have the trans from the first link
you should be able to use the m20 flange.
Or you can switch them anyways, and grind down the output shaft.
splines are the same.
Last edited by LowR3V'in; 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM.Leave a comment:
-
LowR3V'in, have you ever heard of somebody using the small flange and bolting it to the g260, instead of using the original big flange? The output flange on the transmission is what I mean. Do you know if it has the same amount of splines? I would check mine but 1 tranny is still in the car and the other is in the shed blocked by almost 3 feet of snow.
I thought a bunch of people had to shorten the shift linkage a little? I'd imagine it all depends on engine position.Leave a comment:
-
Had a quick question about the C101. On the e28 harness it has a couple wires for oil level static and oil level dynamic, do I need to hook those up to anything? Looks like it just goes to a light or gauge in the cluster.Leave a comment:
-
I just figured if I had any leaks pop up I could spot them a bit easier. I'm also not worried about what it looks like after a few hundred miles. I'm gonna be the only one to see it. If it looks like shit later, so be it, haha. I guess, if down the road, I want to make my car look good longer I can switch it up. I'll just be glad to have my car back on the road.Leave a comment:
-
Looks great mate, good to hear your finally on the home stretch.
One thing though, I don't understand why so many people paint the engines white/ or any light colour for that matter... It's going to look like shit after a few hundred miles of road grime gets on there. It's just a bad choice IMO.
I'm not having a go, but whats your reason for painting it white? Did you have the paint kicking around in the shed or something?Leave a comment:
-
Get your b34 running Motronic 1.3 and then tell me EXACTLY how you did it! I'm tired of researching... no seriously.Leave a comment:
-
Thanks guys, finally coming together, I'm getting really excited to get her running again. This being not only my 1st swap , but the 1st time I did much more than basic bolt on stuff, it's really been a learning experience with the bumps in the road.
Good luck on your swap. Don't know if you've checked it out yet, but a site I've used that helped me out a bit was http://www.e30.de/335i/00.htmLeave a comment:
-
Shift linkage you use all the stock stuff.
Drive shaft use the stock big flanged one.
Stock tranny crossmember.
You don't even need the m1.3 harness you can use the m20 one.
Just lengthen a wire here and there.
Everything just bolts up like stock. ez install.Last edited by LowR3V'in; 03-25-2011, 07:17 PM.Leave a comment:
-
Yes. turbo down the road!
Like the progress your making, looking forward to seeing more.
Gonna start taking out my m20 this weekend for my swap. Was about to drive it to work today when I checked the oil and it looked like grey, crappy mud. Really glad I decided to check fluids instead of just jumping in and driving. Poor lil m20, was such a good lil motor:(
Can't wait to see what you do for the driveshaft, fan, and shift linkage. Your gonna make my job easier
I was thinking of putting in a 1600 cfm fan myself from SPAL. Haven't ordered anything yet as I wanna kno what im looking at for space before I decide.Leave a comment:
-
Yea I know, I would have loved to re-do the whole engine now when it was out, but I don't have the money or time right now. My only car is out of commission and I live 20 minutes from work, ha. Not a fun combination.
The bore is 92.47mm I believe, .50mm over. With a 8.1:1 CR, which could only mean it's a good canidate for a turbo down the road. :)Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: