m30b35 supercharged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30b35 supercharged

So here is the plan. I am currently doing an m30b35 swap and a few days ago I decided to explore the idea of supercharging it. I picked up an eaton from a supercoupe yesterday with the charge pipe and the lower manifold. I will not be using the manifold.

My plans are to fab the appropriate brackets to mount the sc and use the charge pipe coming off the sc to route into a small fmic and into the intake on the other side. The orientation of everything should work out well. I am planning on running a low boost application initially, 7-9 psi with a BEGi rrfpr. I will also have to have a custom crank pulley machined. I am thinking of having some spare brackets made up at the same time if anyone out there is interested. This is my first time doing a sc, so I may be missing some things. I will be installing a wideband to make sure that AFR's are where they are supposed to be.

Am I missing anything? This is not going to be a track monster. I am looking for somewhere around 250-300 WHP with the added wicked, evil, dirty sound.

I decided to go the sc route instead of the turbo for two reasons. 1, to take advantage of the linear power band of the sc in correlation to the gobs of low end torque produced by the m30, and 2, well, to do something different.
    Any input or advice as I dive into this would be GREATLY appreciated.

This project description is causing me to have a tingly sensation in my nether regions...

Comment

You and me both. I have had straight wood for about 3 days. Long term plan is to run MS with a proper tune but I want to get it running correctly before diving into the tuning side of things. Also, I am sure I am going to get an earfull of how I should not tune with an AFR. I know it's not ideal but that is the plan for now. I just got through looking at the motor and I think I have an idea on the brackets.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
        This project description is causing me to have a tingly sensation in my nether regions...

Originally posted by yert315
        Your mother is plug n play

Comment

I've wanted to do this for a long time. But my e30 is my daily driver right now - so that won't work. I really think you are on to something. The m30 takes boost so well, and let's face it - it's would be really easy to go back to stock if need be. Plus SC's are just plain cool!

If you plan on selling the brackets and custom bit - that's cool. Not sure there is a ton of demand, but I might be interested. If you're not interested in selling them for profit - can I suggest that you share the cad files when you are done, so that other could have them made locally?
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            If you plan on selling the brackets and custom bit - that's cool. Not sure there is a ton of demand, but I might be interested. If you're not interested in selling them for profit - can I suggest that you share the cad files when you are done, so that other could have them made locally?
            I think that is a great idea! This could wind up being my "contribution" to the community.

My plan is to fab the brackets now out of 1/4 plastic in my garage, then take them to my machinist to make a set to make sure they work properly, but given my past experiences with projects, chances are they won't the first time. Once I get them correct, I will probably have him do a run of 5 or so. Those would wind up being for sale, most likely at cost. I can have the CAD files to share with others also.

The machinist I use for my stuff is a retired aerospace machinist and has an incredible machine shop in his basement, no really, incredible. The good thing is that he is super cheap!

I will be picking up the eaton on Friday and hope to have some time to work on the brackets over the weekend, but chances are it will be next weekend before I can really dive into it.

I also understand about your car being your dd. I was lucky enough to sell my e30 a couple of months ago for a great price, pick up an e38 for my dd, and begin working on a project such as this. So much easier when you have nothing but time!

Comment

I would suggest 1/2" aluminum plate for brackets. I did a group run for Chevy Camaro S/C kits and even at 1/2", the aluminum was almost too thin and especially when the belt tension becomes a concern, you don't want your kits throwing belts.

When prototyping I like to use 1/2" plexiglass or Lexan. this allows you to see through it to mark bolt holes and the like.

Interested to see where this goes :)
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Ive been toying with the idea of boost when I do my m30 swap, but I dont think I have the knowledge or time to learn how to boost it properly. I will be watching this though.

Also, I have a like new BEGI that im going to post for sale soon if you dont already have one
                1991 335is in progress

Comment

Originally posted by chance View Post
                  Ive been toying with the idea of boost when I do my m30 swap, but I dont think I have the knowledge or time to learn how to boost it properly. I will be watching this though.

Also, I have a like new BEGI that im going to post for sale soon if you dont already have one
                  I don't. Pm me.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapshot View Post
                    So here is the plan. I am currently doing an m30b35 swap and a few days ago I decided to explore the idea of supercharging it. I picked up an eaton from a supercoupe yesterday with the charge pipe and the lower manifold. I will not be using the manifold.

My plans are to fab the appropriate brackets to mount the sc and use the charge pipe coming off the sc to route into a small fmic and into the intake on the other side. The orientation of everything should work out well. I am planning on running a low boost application initially, 7-9 psi with a BEGi rrfpr. I will also have to have a custom crank pulley machined. I am thinking of having some spare brackets made up at the same time if anyone out there is interested. This is my first time doing a sc, so I may be missing some things. I will be installing a wideband to make sure that AFR's are where they are supposed to be.

Am I missing anything? This is not going to be a track monster. I am looking for somewhere around 250-300 WHP with the added wicked, evil, dirty sound.

I decided to go the sc route instead of the turbo for two reasons. 1, to take advantage of the linear power band of the sc in correlation to the gobs of low end torque produced by the m30, and 2, well, to do something different.
                    Any input or advice as I dive into this would be GREATLY appreciated.

http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.ca/

Hope this inspires you.... I'm having some serious fun right now with my SC M20
                    Denny

Blogs:
                    http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                    http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                    http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

I have actually read you entire blog and even posted a link in another members fs thread to it. It actually was my inspiration. If its cool with you, I will be sending you a pm to pick your brain!

Comment

Originally posted by cheapshot View Post
                        I have actually read you entire blog and even posted a link in another members fs thread to it. It actually was my inspiration. If its cool with you, I will be sending you a pm to pick your brain!
                        Cool that am inspiring some to go the Roots type supercharger route. It truly is amazing the low end torque difference from a turbo.

I'm going to be moving houses soon so I will be quite busy but am always available by email if you need help. I must warn you its not as simple as some make it to be, u have to be able to weld and fabricate or else 2 things will happen it will cost a LOT of money and if not done right it could be a disaster (a Supercharger running at 10 000RPM ++ becomes a dangerous weapon)

I spent a lot of time on my setup and so far its been bulletproof, don't want to scare you just being honest on how difficult the project is.

When am done the turbo side I will move to my next project M30B35 swap with the M90 SC I bought as a spare... when I saw your post I said I need to check this out.

If my M20B25 with a M62 at 5PSI is running this strong I cant wait to see a M30B35 with a M90 its going to be insane..
                        Denny

Blogs:
                        http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                        http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                        http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          I would suggest 1/2" aluminum plate for brackets. I did a group run for Chevy Camaro S/C kits and even at 1/2", the aluminum was almost too thin and especially when the belt tension becomes a concern, you don't want your kits throwing belts.

When prototyping I like to use 1/2" plexiglass or Lexan. this allows you to see through it to mark bolt holes and the like.

Interested to see where this goes :)
                          Great idea! I hadn't thought about plexi. I was planning on using posterboard and converting over to plastic but that idea makes much more sense. Also, is there a reason that I should not use steel for the brackets?

Comment

Steel works, it's just heavy.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                              Steel works, it's just heavy.
                              I agree on it being heavy, but less chance for failure. From an old sbc guy here, I may hit you up with some questions as I move forward with this. I should have some teaser pics up tomorrow!

Today I scored a fmic, some piping, and I think I have a deal worked out on the BEGi.

Comment

Working...
                              X