Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another E30 M30 Swap Thread, this time with an 84 318i

08/20/13

Thought I'd post this here for the heck of information and documentation.
    This is a 1984 Delphin Metallic 318i Coupe, Clean title, nearly zero rust/going to be zero rust with minimal effort.

This will be my second BMW, other one being an e34 535i that will stay a clean back up car.

Heres some pictures to start

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

The car has very minimal rust, nothing penetrating through, floor boards are solid, antenna grommet has been maintained, thus a dry trunk area. There is one spot on the drivers side near the washer blade pivot where rust has done some wonderful work, but its an easy fix.

The motor was an m10 L-jet with high compression pistons and a getrag 240 transmission, these will be taken out, and sold to anyone who needs the parts, The stock 3.64 open diff will also be taken out. This year was also blessed with rear drum brakes, these will be taken out and swapped with discs as well.

Pretty decent parts list started:
    M30b35 w/ arp headstuds
    G265/6
    3.15 Z3 Torsen LSD
    Ground Control Coilovers/camber plates
    Bilstein shocks
    IE BBK
    Megasquirt 2 + wastespark

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

There are some starter pictures for you guys.

If you have any questions let me know, need any parts let me know, have any parts.... let me know.

Thanks guys
    Ian
    Last edited by the imitator; 02-26-2014, 12:56 AM.

09/11/13

So today I got done what I wanted to; Dropped the exhaust, Driveshaft shields, Driveshaft, pulled the transmission and m10 block out of the e30.

The hardest part was the driveshaft bolts, but that's nothing past a cheater bar. Some people like to put their car in gear then lock the E-brake in order to loosen drive shaft bolts.. I do this a bit differently, I leave the car in Neutral, No E-brake, and let one wrench butt up against the tranny tunnel while I turn the other wrench, you get mounds of torque and it makes it an easy job.

It was 95 degrees today I believe.
    I Also put together the g265 with the z3 shifter just to feel the gears, by hand. I'll be getting the rear disc parts Friday as well.

Coming next week is an engine, she will get a new headgasket for shits and giggles. Hopefully she doesnt blow smoke/whine/blowby etc.

Let me know if you have parts for this build! Bushings,steering racks etc. My money could be yours!

I either need a new front fender, or I need to this and other smaller dings popped later

Everything seemed to pop off easy, no hassles, no PB blaster needed.

No rust to be found, nothing past a hand sanding atleast, a tiny bit under driver side floor board and just needs a good cleaning and re seal underneath.

yuck

Have any questions,let me know!

Comment

beat the hell out of the passenger side firewall, trust me. Just did the exact same swap into an 84 eta. Don't forget the middle of the trans tunnel because the top bolt on the tranny will hit when trying to give enough room. Get the upgraded e24 mounts for the 265 and preferably an e28 g265 ds. It's still going to need to be shortened but not very much. Mine was only about 2.5".

Comment

Thank Paul, I forgot about that top bolt on this specific swap. I have an e30 m3 tranny brace ready to go on. Just jumping between companies for the poly stuff. Ill talk more later, I have work.

Z3 torsen lsd, g265 transmission, m30b35.. Should be fun!

Pull up a chair folks should have updates fairly consistantly.

Comment

I decided to hang out in the garage for a minute and just see how the z3 shifter felt on the g265.. Right arm
          The e30 m3 transmission brace makes the stock brace look like a tin can.

2nd picture is possibly another project further down the line.

Comment

In. I have an 85 that I am looking at...want to see how you are doing the harness.
            Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
            Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
            Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Sounds good to me. I won't be using the stock engine harness. Their will be pictures for sure

Comment

Originally posted by the imitator View Post
                Sounds good to me. I won't be using the stock engine harness. Their will be pictures for sure
                Awesome.

I can't believe it, but I just picked up a whole e32 735iL for $200 bucks. Running. Now I need an e30.

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Fantastic! I bought my current daily driver for 500 bucks (e34 535i) replaced the headgasket and the past 4 years I've had ZERO question to whether or not she will start up and run good. Aside from regular maintenance in 4 years I've replaced the 22 year old water pump and the belt associated.

Ill be honest when I say that these m30b35 are just killer engines.. they just are!!! sure she weighs a bit having a cast iron block.. But I wouldnt have it any other way living in the NW.

I bought this e30 delphin metallic coupe for $350 with a cracked block and head. clean title. 3rd owner. Asking price was $900 with the cracked shtuff. Getting it shipped 3.5 hours here took just a little bit of trickery using AAA. free 200 mile tow + premiere services for a full year cost 120, so technically I'm $470 into the e30 just in regards to getting it to my location.

It would have cost my $230 plus gas to use u-haul, That's 2 years of premiere AAA.

The 535i will stay alive and I REALLY hope to turn it into a nice representation of an e34 in the future.. but the future indeed it is.

update to happen possibly this weekend, or atleast some new goodies to post up..

Mtech 2 steering wheel
                  reupholstered sport seats, updated door cards, pop out rear windows.
                  May take pictures of some other parts I'll be getting..
                  GC coilovers, big brakes, MAYBE a plastic bumper facelift (extra curricular activity)

I cant wait for this to truly begin.

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                  Awesome.

I can't believe it, but I just picked up a whole e32 735iL for $200 bucks. Running. Now I need an e30.

Comment

Welp, I picked up that 85 318i but with a functioning M10 and the 220 Getrag. I also think it is the same color though I definitely need paint as half of it is primed.

Definitely watching!

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Tomorrow I'll be picking up a few parts out of a parts car.
                      Sadly some people may recognize this e30 if you're from the portland area, its a light blue 89 e30 that has an m30 swap in it already. Pictures to be posted tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
                        Welp, I picked up that 85 318i but with a functioning M10 and the 220 Getrag. I also think it is the same color though I definitely need paint as half of it is primed.

Definitely watching!
                        Right on!! dont waste time man, use the e30 and start stripping the e32!

Comment

Here are some goodies I grabbed today!!!

Fresh ass Sport seats, Door cards, tweeters, and all the speakers, they're infinity, something rathers, We knowingly pulled a 500Watt Alpine amp, and then as I'm sitting in the back seat pulling the speakers my good friend goes "wtf?" and pulled out a second alpine amp?!

We have had recent thefts in the great PNW unfortunately, with that said I'll be NOT posting pics of a viper alarm system and my own version of a GPS tracking system in my car. but on that notes look down.
                          Eye Candy:

Last edited by the imitator; 04-04-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

You need to change your Sig fool! you own a e32 and an e30.. you're ready freddy!

I'm beyond happy with finding these seats and other parts. The only thing not shown is the Mtech 2 wheel.. I may grab that tomorrow, plus other shit..

Comment

Working...
                              X