m30 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m30 swap?

hello everyone im new to this forum and I need some help making a decision on whether or not to jump into a m30 swap or not I have the opportunity to buy an m30b35 from a 88 735i for $500 with a manual trans and all accessories my m20 broke 4 rocker arms on a long trip and I didn't realize it until I got out of the car and by then it was too late. the m30 has 180k on the clock and he doesn't have really any more info he says he is selling the motor because the car is in too bad of shape to repair. anyway I guess im asking everyone if I should take the leap. i have a 1987 325is manual
    thank you all so much for the responses ahead of time

The pros and cons of this swap are detailed in many threads so its best to use the search function first before asking such a general question. The answer to your question depends on many variables. Good luck.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

it depends, but i would go for it if the engine/trans are good and you can do the work. offer him $500 cash for the entire car and you'll have plenty of extra parts for the swap.

if you were going to send it to a shop, just get them to put a new head on your car or rebuild your head.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by afelice View Post
        anyway I guess im asking everyone if I should take the leap.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSWnjK-vvIg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcl8uzVhUMs

1989 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        5-Speed Swapped
        M30B35 Swapped
        MegaSquirt MS3X

1987 325i Lachssilber Sedan
        260k OEM Automatic Daily Baby

Comment

If I could just get the head rebuilt I would but unfortunately the cylinders are gouged aswell. The guy is selling the entire drivetrain for 800 so I'm going to give him 5 for just the engine and trans he told me that the rest of the car is in bad shape so I'm not really that interested in the whole car and thus why I'm nervous about the engine. He told me the engine has 180k on it but the odometer broke some time ago so he is not positive on the mileage I know these engines are known for being high mileage engines but still.

Comment

They are tough, long lasting motors. My M30 has done around 340,000km and runs perfectly, no oil usage, smoke etc.

If you end up going with it, replace some gaskets (eg. rocker cover & sump to avoid oil leaks) & replace the water pump before putting it into your car. Also - while the rocker cover is off check the oil spray bar bolts in the top of the head - they like to work loose.
            My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I think im going to go thru with it I have a mechanic friend going to look at the motor possibly this weekend. its kindof cool tho its a 1988 735i with a manual trans 1 of 200 made! and if I do buy the engine im going to replace the water pump ALL gaskets front and rear main seals oil pan gasket clutch spark plugs distributor the whole shibang

Comment

its kindof cool tho its a 1988 735i with a manual trans 1 of 200 made!
                My donor car was an manual '88 735i too, it had been sitting in some guy's yard for five years.
                Originally posted by Japandrew73
                I'm not going to be "cutting up" the subframe, I'm going to be notching it
                '92 335ic Alpinweiss II/Indigo
                '79 323i Arktisblau Euro

Comment

hey hotdish was there anything wrong with the engine? since it had bee sitting outside for that long?

Comment

I think im going to go thru with it I have a mechanic friend going to look at the motor possibly this weekend. its kindof cool tho its a 1988 735i with a manual trans 1 of 200 made! and if I do buy the engine im going to replace the water pump ALL gaskets front and rear main seals oil pan gasket clutch spark plugs distributor the whole shibang
                    Originally posted by hotdish View Post
                    My donor car was an manual '88 735i too, it had been sitting in some guy's yard for five years.
                    My m30b35 came from an '87 735i with a manual trans. :P
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Working...
                    X