To turbo or to swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To turbo or to swap?

Hey rev, I need some opinions from some of you more experienced m30 guys and turbo guys.
    I have an 89 325i that I'm ready to take to the next level. My m20 is very healthy and has the basic bolt ons (m50 injectors, MarkD chip, m30 afm, exhaust, intake, suspension, blah blah blah) being that my m20 is a healthy engine I am wondering if I should throw on a head gasket and some head studs and go FI or if I should just give up on the m20 and go m30 swap. I have never turboed or swapped before and I wanna know what you guys think would be best.
    Not looking for crazy power, 250 maybe 300hp.
    On a budget of just a few grand. Feedback is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
    Derek Stanelle
    Hellrot 325is coupe

If your only looking for 250hp then I'd say go M30.

Fairly inexpensive and very reliable . And will get you close to 250hp with a few mods
    1990 Alpine 325is
    1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, yeah Iv been seriously concidering m30 but iv never swapped before and am nervous about it lol

Derek Stanelle
      Hellrot 325is coupe

Comment

Originally posted by horse30 View Post
        Thanks for the feedback, yeah Iv been seriously concidering m30 but iv never swapped before and am nervous about it lol

I'm on the same page as you . I was offered a e34 535i auto with a functional M30 for Free !
        I just don't have the knowledge to do a swap and parents don't want me parting out cars on there "driveway" .
        1990 Alpine 325is
        1992 Schwarz 325ic (sold)

Comment

For that amount of HP just stick with the M20 plus it will be cheaper. Coupled with the fact you have never turbo'd or swapped an engine.
          Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Turbo the M20.
            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
              Turbo the M20.
              this. If it seems "boring" to you, just up the boost (with proper tuning, of course) or if you're feeling rich and ballsy, do some sort of S5x swap AND boost that. I'm sure that would hold you over for a while. lol
              1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
              2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
              2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Definitely not feeling rich, just ballsy lol. Iv just been hearing alot about how good the m30 swap is due to how straight forward it is, sounded like a good first major build for me. Do you guys think going m30 would be more cost effecient than throwing a turbo on the m20?

Derek Stanelle
                Hellrot 325is coupe

Comment

m30 is not about power, its about torque but for its displacement its still quite weak, lots of potential though
                  89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

M30 NA = torque
                    M20 turbo = torque and a high ceiling
                    Those are your options. It's up to you. I'll be there to help bro.
                    Hank Ahrens
                    1984 Alpine Coupe
                    1978 911sc

Comment

250 300?
                      ARP's and a good tune is all you need on the m20 turbo.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Just wanted to update this, I did decide to go turbo. I already have a minifold, I'm goana run an hx30 holset on about 10psi, il proabably end up going ms2 from whodwho. I'm doing me hg right now, goetze with copper gasket spray, and arp head studs. When I get all the parts together I should have it up and running
                        Derek Stanelle
                        Hellrot 325is coupe

Comment

Working...
                        X