No announcement yet.

1987 325e sedan M30B35 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d say that’s a pretty good summary of the m30, with a 262 CR & a 3.15 my car is quick has my better half’s car off the Mark & to about 60km/h after that her f20 135i absolutely walks away from my car with no effort.

I appreciate the song you where listening too No Cigar is great old Millencolin

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
      With your driving impressions, it sounds like you're still running the eta diff?

If so, then the car won't be quick, but throw a 3.73 in there like a 325i and it's a whole different animal ( 0 - 100 in around 6 seconds).

If you want it to drive like a factory 335i would have, then a 3.25LSD is an excellent compromise for a daily drive with a bit more performance.

I’m using a 3.46 diff from a Z3.
      A 3.73 would definitely make the car a lot quicker but then I wouldn’t be able to go 80mph at 3000rpm.
      I’m probably in between 6 to 7 seconds to 60 mph. I have roughly 12 pounds of weight for each horsepower, so not a super high power to weight ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Comparing to a 3.0L turbo in the 135i is a bit rough though Anthony :D

They're plenty quick for a car from the 80s though, and certainly no slouch even in modern traffic :)

The 3.46 would still be plenty of fun!
        My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Turbo the thing now. :devil:

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony B View Post

I appreciate the song you where listening too No Cigar is great old Millencolin

Nothing like some late 90s Swedish punk when wrenching on an e30.

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
              Turbo the thing now. :devil:

I’ve been reading a lot of m30 turbo threads and there seems to be 2 routes to go as far as turbocharging these engines.
              Run low boost with a turbo chip, larger injectors and a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. Sounds pretty simple but is also a very crude mechanical setup. Any failure of the RRFPR or related vacuum lines could result in a lean spike.
              Or... run a much higher level of boost with mega squirt or maybe even a war chip. It does sound more intimidating, but in the end I think it would be more rewarding. Mega squirt does offer PNP kits for the motronic 1.3.
              I do have a 745i manifold, but am quickly finding out it’s not very optimal. No other turbos bolt up to the K27 flange. Even with a custom adapter it will never really flow all that well.
              This looks like a much better option. It seems like everyone is using Rapid Spool’s manifolds. Price seems more than fair.

Comment

Oh man! This gon be good.
                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

i'm using g&t chinafold as well.
                  Very thick stuff don't see it cracking.

2 things i don't like about it.
                  the engine needs to be deep in the firewall to fit a decent air filter
                  the flanges came warped. not crazy, but they wanted to turn into a banana
                  Last edited by LowR3V'in; 03-11-2018, 03:06 PM.

Comment

So before I decide to add more power to the car I need to swap in the stronger G260 transmission.
                    Now I know I said I had the hookup on a G265, but my brother needed that transmission for his replacement e28 635csi which came delivered with a super busted/worn out G265. 4th gear and the input shaft were trashed causing a lot of noise. Cost to replace just those parts is $560.
                    My junkyard M30 G260 was covered in oil so a re-seal was in order. Yay more tranny work!

M30 G260s are easily identified by the cooling fins on the lower part of the case.

First order of business is to swap over output flanges. The M30 G260 uses a large guibo, my car has a small guibo driveshaft. I don’t really want to find/pay for another driveshaft, so swapping a small guibo output flange from a M20 G260 is required. Luckily I had one laying around (don’t judge me, I hoard parts).

Getting the output flange nuts off is a giant pain in the ass. On the M20 trans I had to use a torch and a impact to bust it loose.
                    M30 G260

M20 G260

The splines are the same but the M30 G260 has a longer pilot for the driveshaft.
                    M30,

M20,

I’ll probably have to cut 3/4” off the M30 trans shaft pilot guide to fit my M20 driveshaft to it.
                    Here you can see the difference between the small guibo output flange(red one), and the large guibo one.

In the meantime my G240 is holding up great!

Last edited by st.petebiodiesel; 03-30-2018, 02:29 PM.

Comment

^the m30 trans bolts up the the m20 shaft no prob is yours not going in?

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
                        ^the m30 trans bolts up the the m20 shaft no prob is yours not going in?

I have a 88 325i driveshaft which uses a small guibo. I’m just swapping output flanges from a M20 g260 onto a M30 g260.
                        Only the 1987 325e or e30 M3 came with a large guibo driveshaft, those shafts would bolt up to the M30 g260 no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
                          This looks like a much better option. It seems like everyone is using Rapid Spool’s manifolds. Price seems more than fair.

Just an FYI, that's not a Rapid Spool manifold.Our M30 manifold has only a T4 bolt pattern. http://rapidspoolindustries.com/orde...4-turbo-flange

We've seen other copy cats use our name or design, have it made with cheaper & thinner material that ends up cracking.

Our manifolds are only sold through our website or Ebay store.
                          Need a Turbo manifold? We have them in stock- Click here---> http://rapidspoolindustries.com/

Comment

Summer is around the corner and A/C is going to be necessary in Florida with a infant.
                            I decided to make another thread just for my A/C installation. Check it out.

Comment

Found a 88 e30 sedan in the junkyard and got first pick on the car in the yard. ( I check LKQ daily for new cars)

I know what most of you guys are thinking. Grab the ellipsoids and late model bumpers. I left all those goodies for the other e30 guys to harvest. When a e30 hits a yard near Tampa it’s usually picked clean within a week. I just grabbed the instrument cluster and a few interior trim pieces.
                              Out of the 4 e30s I’ve swapped every one was a eta, and having the 5k tach is super annoying when you now have a engine that revs to 7k.
                              I picked up the entire cluster for $36!

You can’t just put a i cluster in a eta car. The gas gauge is different since it uses 2 sending units. The solution is to switch the tachometer and coding plug from the i cluster to the eta cluster.
                              Also my eta cluster odometer is at 216k miles and the odometer still works.

Pulling the clusters apart is easy money.
                              Just remove the 7 screws.

Then the 3 tachometer screws.

The tachometers look almost identical.

Then just reinstall the tachometer and bezel.

Works great in the car, even went on a test drive hitting the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd.

This is the first e30 swap car I’ve had with an accurate tachometer. I just got used to knowing what each gears redlines in on the speedometer.

Comment

So good to know! My i cluster in my eta car seems to work but rather inaccurately (reads as full until i get to about a half tank then fluctuates around half until its very close to empty and then reads almost empty). I still have the e cluster, would swapping the tachs and putting the e cluster back in solve my floppy gas gauge issue?
                                1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Working...
                                X