Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Took only a week to get my machine work done. I had the block bored up 2mm to accept my larger pistons. The engine displacement went from 3430cc to 3581cc by increasing the bore to 94mm. I also had the crankshaft and entire rotating assembly balanced. I was so excited to drive my e30 again I assembled the engine in 1 day. Just to make sure I checked the valve to piston clearance by bolting the head on with an old head gasket and modeling clay on the pistons. I didn't measure the exact amount, but it appeared to be ample. I gapped all my top rings at .023" and second rings at .026". I wanted to make sure the ring gap was large enough for a significant amount of nitrous. I bought a S38B38 head gasket because the bore is now 94mm and the S38B38 is 94.5mm. I slapped everything together and didn't take any pictures. I drove the car all week to work, changed the oil and took it to the drag strip. It did pretty well with only 160hp of nitrous. Time to build a multi stage nitrous system. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    Originally posted by st.petebiodiesel View Post
    VAC sells CP Carrillo pistons. It only took 4 weeks to get them, which is pretty quick for custom pistons. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Thatís wicked fast! Awesome. Still planning on running pump gas? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Originally posted by wworm View Post
    where did you get those pistons from?
    VAC sells CP Carrillo pistons. It only took 4 weeks to get them, which is pretty quick for custom pistons. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    where did you get those pistons from?

Leave a comment:

• e30m3s54turbo
    replied
    I like how your build is going.

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    I've been waiting patiently for these. 94mm bore, 10:1 compression ratio, the increase in bore will bring the displacement from 4340cc to 3581cc. Should pick up at least 15hp from the increase in displacement and the higher compression ratio. After new years I'll send the block, pistons, and crank to get bored and balanced. Can't wait to put this engine together. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
    did the key break on the harmonic balancer?
    Yes. I've had my key way break on my harmonic balancer several times. I even tack welded my crank nut, still came loose. When I build my new engine I will have the entire rotating assembly professionally balanced at the machine shop. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    did the key break on the harmonic balancer?

Leave a comment:

• gnmzl
    replied
    Damn, that's something I didn't expect too! Happy you enjoy it though, rebuild and race again!

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Went to the local 1/4 mile this weekend. My goal was to run a low 12 second pass. First run I couldn't grab any gear easily but still managed a 13.8 @ 101mph. Immediately after this run the car was obviously hurt. It still ran and drove, but it was making a hell of a racket. Turns out I broke my crankshaft. How could this happen with only 400 whp? I expected to melt a piston or bend a rod with nitrous. Breaking a crank just seems unreal. I'm going to rebuild the engine, just might take awhile. Crazy thing is that the car still ran and drove with the broken crank. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• varg
    replied
    Quick! Might want to put a second diff mount on that thing before those launches and shifts start to rip the stock mount out of the floorpan.

Leave a comment:

• LowR3V'in
    replied
    bad ass. i think what come next is turbo.
    filling tanks every week becomes $$$$$$$.

Leave a comment:

• wworm
    replied
    awesome update. Glad to see something different. Get this puppy boosted!

Leave a comment:

• st.petebiodiesel
    replied
    Kinda committed to the drag car build. I've been watching a lot of Hot Rod Drag Week coverage on YouTube. Got a set of Hoosier DR2 drag radials. Which are actually closer to a straight up slick. 225/50-16. Look at all that meat. Also changed my diff bushing to help with those hard launches. I made a couple passes at the test and tune at the local 1/8th mile. I struggled with the launches. I would leave and the car would bog. 8.5 was the best I could do in 3 passes. Then I put in a fresh nitrous bottle and went for 1 more pass. I decided to leave the nitrous on for the entire pass. Normally I would turn it on after I shifted to second or halfway through 1st. That and I gave it a lot more RPMs to prevent the big. The results were impressive. That pass works out to a 12.6 second 1/4 mile. Time for more nitrous! I'm gonna spray this turd to 11 seconds. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• AWDBOB
    replied
    Casual Nos drop in. I love how much you enjoy this car! I envy, very much.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X