anyone still doing m30 swaps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    I love my M30, whether it was the old NA build or the current M106 turbo setup. The crazy easiness of the swap and the similarity to the stock M20, both in character and mechanics, seal it for me. It doesn't make huge hp but it's infinitely driveable, bulletproof, and always puts a smile on my face. I'd do it again.
    thats what I like to hear! I'm excited.
    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

I put an e30 m20 harness in an 82 e24 634csi today. (m90 car, grey market import). Aside from adapting the square c101 to round, it was a fairly drop and swap situation...
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

i loved my m30 n/a too. 3'' exhaust sounded wicked good.
        raced a friend with his lexus 290hp or whatever it would walk it even with the 2.93 gears.
        good times. but... now i can't even go for more then 2 seconds without going 80 on the street kinda sucks..

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

I'm running a e28 flywheel lightened to 17 lbs (from 22 or 24 iirc) and it's more then enough. It's a street car. Hence, giving yourself a few extra pounds if you ever drive on a hilly area like I do.

anything lighter than stock anchor weight is better
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LowR3V'in View Post
            but... now i can't even go for more then 2 seconds without going 80 on the street kinda sucks..
            I feel you bro!

#firstworldproblems

Comment

I recently finished my M30 swap and was able to get in through BAR after failing once. I almost failed because my AFM is on its way out, but ive moved to megasquirt instead of actually getting a proper AFM.

Comment

I just bought a drop in swap for 400$ so yes
                85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
                  Nope
                  Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

1 new m30b35 swapped e30 just joined the fray this month in new england. I have to say, it is everything i hoped it would be. Its an 87 325e 2dr, 3.73s swap, getrag 260 and b35 both from a 90 e34 i bought running and driving for $750.

I did my homework and sourced a 533i light flywheel, fit the factory airbox, bolted up magnaflow front pipes for the e34 but switched the cat to a vibrant metal core, 2.5" mandrel bent exhaust with 2 jones max flow mufflers (almost stealthy quiet unless on the gas).

It still needs a little sorting, but driving on my local country roads is all smiles. The torque is ridiculous fun. More than quick enough for my needs, and sounds great too. I've had m20b25, m20b27 and this is not that similar in feel. Its closer to an old school small displacement small block than either of those, in terms of how it feels driving. Happy new m30 driver here.

Comment

^
                      Waits 6 years to post, makes post #69 in a thread. Good work.

Comment

i was interested in putting an m30b35, in the e30, that will become my pickup truck. cannot find one for sale, at least, not locally. it's kinda nuts how hard those parts have become to find, at least in the last ~5 years, or so. i guess i'll run the noisy m20, until it dies...
                        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

They are getting much harder to find - hence a lot fewer swaps. Manual gearboxes are becoming like unicorns.

Makes me glad of my e30 / e34 parts hoard in the shed that I picked up most of 8 - 10 years ago. My wife has often payed me out about it, but it is coming in pretty handy with keeping the car on the road cheaply now.
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

I've got a B34 and 260/6 trans out in the garage.. i was waiting until a B35 head popped up locally to swap my e30 but none have at a decent price, so i'm stroking the m20. I was thinking about selling off my parts but maybe wiser to keep them? Hmm
                            1990 325i Cashmere Beige

"I don't like question marks. They're like exclamation points, but think they're fancy because they're curved. I won't tolerate it." -MNChiefsan

Comment

The biggest thing the M30 had going for it was low cost and period correctness. An n52b30O0, for example, makes more torque over a wider powerband, a lot more power, revs to 7k, requires little maintenance, is far more efficient - and also weighs like 200lbs less. They are super easy to find and cheap, but not that common yet due to needing modified oil pans etc. But I think over time, you will see the trend towards newer engines continue, because of technology, but also because of availability.

Also, the M20 has seen a bit of a resurgence in popularity (after the absurdity of swapping in a junkyard M50 with an extra 15hp finally sunk in), which IMO is a good thing.
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                                The biggest thing the M30 had going for it was low cost and period correctness. An n52b30O0, for example, makes more torque over a wider powerband, a lot more power, revs to 7k, requires little maintenance, is far more efficient - and also weighs like 200lbs less. They are super easy to find and cheap, but not that common yet due to needing modified oil pans etc. But I think over time, you will see the trend towards newer engines continue, because of technology, but also because of availability.

Also, the M20 has seen a bit of a resurgence in popularity (after the absurdity of swapping in a junkyard M50 with an extra 15hp finally sunk in), which IMO is a good thing.
                                i am also glad the M50 trend is all but dead. long live the m20.

(18 year old me never ever thought i'd say that, yay for maturity)
                                '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
                                X