Hole in upper timing cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hole in upper timing cover

My mechanic just informed me about this hole in my upper timing cover on my 91 E30 318i. In was in the shop to get an alternator replaced. I have no idea how it happened, I didn't hear any strange noises while driving it home from the shop. The area around the hole is bent outward. I just moved from sea level to 6200 feet (1900 meters) and to drive the M42 at altitude, you've got to drive it like you stole it to keep the revs up. Obviously the upper timing cover needs to be replaced. What scares me is the internal damage that I can't see. Maybe time for a M50/52 swap because the M42 has no power at altitude. Thoughts from the group?

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1630793064663.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	10030117
    74 2002tii (many mods)
    86 325 (sold)
    88 325is (sold)
    89 325i (totaled)
    91 318is (parted out)
    91 318i
    98 Tacoma Prerunner (parts hauler)

Very odd. I think that the only thing inside at that location is the long guide rail for the chain. Short of that guide coming really really loose and somehow whipping into the cover, I can't think of what else could do it if the engine is not making terrible noises. Either way, the valve cover and upper timing cover need to some off for a proper inspection.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

I'd wager that the crank guide came off, went for a ride and somehow got partially ejected.

Comment

Good call. Something got dragged around by the chain. If the engine is still running and not making bad noises, then it would make sense if it is the lower guide down at the crank, or a chunk of the top one up by the cams maybe.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

That was not on the side of the engine I thought it would be.

+1 for part on a day trip.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
          X